Author Topic: What follows potatoes?  (Read 2228 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
What follows potatoes?
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:38:01 »
Yesterday I pulled up my first earlies, which I grew in the no dig method with straw.  They cropped well with little slug damage, perhaps because there were at least 15 frogs/toads living in the straw.  I've composted the haulms and straw, so I'm now left with an empty bed with decent soil.

What can I plant in there? I don't have any seedlings ready. Am I too late for summer crops? In the excitement of getting a plot, I forgot to have any winter crops!

The alternative is to dig it over, condition the soil and green manure it.

Steve

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: What follows potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:33:06 »
Leeks,  over wintering onions
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:45:52 »
pots roots legs bras

bung in onion family anywhere. You could wait till late september/october and plant it up with overwintering onions.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 13:17:06 »
Like others I've got stuff Qing to go in.

Potted on some brassica plug plants from the chappie on the market, by the time they are good plants, there will be space in the old spud or onion bed. 14 for £1, but some cells comtained 2 plants so I've ended up with 19 plants.  You can get leek plugs the same way.

Have also 2 packets of seeds: Eskimo carrots (Suttons) and Shimonita Onions (T&M) to put in.

You can do Senshyu overwinter Onions from seed, they need to be sown in August but probably best to grow on a seed tray then plant out in October.   I have a spare packet of seed and if want, PM me your address and I will put it in the post to you.  They have produced good onions in the last 2 years though they need a good belt of Tomato food around Easter time to spur on growth.   

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 21:40:48 »
        I put in a few rows of Early Onward peas, then when they have cropped, over wintering Spring Hero cabbages are planted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal