Author Topic: Dividing Streptocarpus  (Read 2295 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Dividing Streptocarpus
« on: January 28, 2005, 14:40:05 »
I have several of these lovely house plants and they are all very very pot bound and need to be split.. The roots are quite fibrous and will be impossible to separate.  Will it be OK to use a bread knife to separate the plants and when is the best time to do this.  Don't want to loose them as they flower for months and months, brightening up the house.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: Dividing Streptocarpus
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 01:53:03 »
Hi Mimi, I have loads all mauve in colour, i find them easy to  propogate , i cut leaves in to 3 pieces and place into damp sandy compost in a sunny and warm window, so if you try to tease the roots apart  and place them into a sandy compost things should be ok, hope this helps
windy
my allotment
heaven

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Dividing Streptocarpus
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:03:41 »
Thanks for that WG. :)  I have 10 of these lovely plants in white,deepest purple, and a long flowering stunner in pink and yellow.  I also have some other (as yet unknown colours)cuttings on the go.  You are right, they are so easy to grow from cuttings. Let me know if you want to try some other colours and I can save you a littlen when I separate the plants.  Cheers.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal