Author Topic: Wise to put Holly leaves in Composter?  (Read 5029 times)

irridium

• Acre
Wise to put Holly leaves in Composter?
« on: June 11, 2011, 15:23:07 »
was just about to re-plant my flower bed at home today and discovered that the pulled-up phacelia is covered in dead holly leaves, but realised that this might not compost down well in the composter. i wouldn't want to get pricked when i turn the bin later on. what do you think i should do, just leave it on the bed? i'd say half of the foilage is going to be dug in, and i guess some of the holly will get in with that, but with the rest, do you think i should just take it down to the lotti, and dig it in for a new bed (i don't know what tho' - any ideas).

thanks ;)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Wise to put Holly leaves in Composter?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 15:51:11 »
I never put anything prickly in my compost.   Being jabbbed with thorns I do not like.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 22:19:28 »
If you threw them onto a conventional compost heap and left it two years i doubt they thorns would survive.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:17:59 »
I scatter mine around brassicas to keep the slugsat bay.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 19:11:50 »
what I had forgotten at the time of clearing the bed was that I must have put the holly there on purpose  ::) ::) ::) as a cat deterrent, and in early spring, last yr's phacelia had self-seeded itself and I decided to let it grow and of course, I forgot all about it. I think I should leave it but the phacelia, I'm not sure what I can do with it if it's got holly tangled up in it. What do you think I should do?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 17:32:26 »
Dig it in or compost it, and don't worry. It'll all rot down with no problems. I've often had holly leaves mixed up with the stuff I use for mulch, and the only problem i've ever has is with the occasional fresh leaf stabbing me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal