Author Topic: footballs  (Read 1408 times)

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
footballs
« on: June 13, 2011, 14:46:31 »
sorry if this turns into a bit of a rant but...

my allotment site is next to a playing field. the council have put really high fences on the side next to the field but we still get countless footballs coming over the top of the fence and landing on our plots.

Does anyone know of my rights regarding the footballs?

so far I've been (mostly) nice with them and handed them back (sometimes with a few words!) but this weekend I got really frustrated when they almost landed on me and definitely squashed a few crops! I was very close to puncturing the one that kept being kicked over the fence. All I get from the teenagers when i ask them to play further away from the fence or at least not kick the ball over the fence is verbal abuse

any helpful ideas gratefully received.
it's getting to the point that I'm considering netting all my beds!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: footballs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 15:23:01 »
I think that if you touch the ball & refuse to give it back, it's classed as theft. If you just leave it lying there untouched, it's okay & there's not much they can do... although I'm sure they'll just climb over & trample things more as soon as your back is turned.

I suspect that it's another pest you have to live with - we get pigeons, squirrels, rats & drunken teenagers for one weekend a year (music festival), you get urban yoofs with their balls.

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 16:34:32 »
does that mean I can refuse them entry onto my plot to collect the ball?

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 16:42:11 »
Yes you can refuse them entry but they will probably gain entry when you are not there, and do damage just to get even. It's a sad world when we just can't enjoy what we do without this sort of thing.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 17:09:32 »
Is there anyone else around on your plot / site who could help you out / back you up?

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 17:29:33 »
in the evenings there is rarely anyone around. at the weekends (which is when it's a bigger problem) usually someone around for a bit but not all day like I do! and generally not nearby
There was someone on the next plot to me this weekend just gone but when they stood up with me they got the abuse too so it makes people not want to stand up.
I've written to the council twice now but not really expecting a response

I quite agree Vitruvius! I only want to enjoy allotmenting without fear of abuse, physical or verbal!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal