Author Topic: Undhiyu Curry  (Read 2057 times)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
Undhiyu Curry
« on: June 07, 2011, 22:08:23 »
I just made this for my mother in law who is vegetarian - and it was delicious!

4 potatoes, 1 sweet potato, 2 green courgettes, 2 inch piece of ginger, 4 garlic cloves, Large bunch flat leaf parsley (or coriander if you can stand the stuff), 4 small aubergines, 1 butternut, 250 g green beans, 250 gr sugarsnap peas, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric, pinch asafoetida, 1 can chopped tomatoes (or fresh, but you need the liquid), Salt & pepper, 1 can black eyed beans

1.  Make a paste from the green chillies, garlic, ginger, parsley and half a tsp of oil
2.  Peel and dice the veg to basically the same size
3.  Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.  When the seeds pop, add the chilli paste.
4.  Add the veg (except sugarsnaps and black eyed beans) and the S&P and the turmeric.  Stir fry on a high heat for 5 minutes,
5.  Add the chopped tomatoes and 250 ml water.
6.  Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer untill all the veg is cooked (I added the sugarsnaps and b/e beans 5 minutes before the end.
Serve with rice and enjoy!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Undhiyu Curry
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:09 »
Sounds great, will give it a go, where does the name come from please?

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:55:02 »
It is a very traditional Gujarati dish  (Gujarat is in north west India).  An important part of the traditional part of the dish is the muthiya - the recipe here shows how to make the muthiya:  http://www.indian-food-recipe.com/content/view/445/117/.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 18:47:04 »
I did it without the muthiya - because I am trying to drop some excess weight, and deep fried dumplings aren't the best thing for that!

I have had it both ways, and I don't think it suffers without the dumplings.

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:02 »
Sorry Bikegirllisa, I wasn't criticising your recipe - I was just sticking my oar in to answer Katynewbie's question and give a bit more info - showing off really! ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:08 »
Sounds great with or without the dumplings  8)

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 19:05:51 »
Thanks for sharing this recipe it sounds just my sort of thing.  Shall write it down!  My OH hates curry but I love it.  Now I know what to do with my courgettes lol
Teen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal