Author Topic: starting to get too interested in orchids  (Read 3136 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
starting to get too interested in orchids
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:54:37 »
Yep, I am starting to buy orchid plants. I have bought a few as gifts lately, quite expenisve but very pretty, then one day in my local oriental supermarket they had smaller ones and I bought a couple for myself..oh dear, now I am running out of window sills.

I have a couple of questions..dumb probably but I don't do flowers so please bear with me.

Most I have bought have a single stem with a spray of flowers at the top but a couple have two stems. Question..as they get older will they get more stems?

I understand that they flower a long time, when the flower finally dies I think I cut the stem down to a couple of inches and it will eventually flower again. Question.. Is this right and if so how long does it take?

I think they need special soil. Question, when do they get re potted?

There seem to be what look like arial roots..Question, does this mean they need repotting?

They are on a North facing window sill. Question,, is this enough light?

Question how much water and do I feed them ?

I told you they would be dumb questions. They are so pretty especiaially when you look close and I would like to give them the best shot.

Last question. If I do manage to keep them, how long do they live and how big do they get.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: starting to get too interested in orchids
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:00 »
Oh Jeannine I love orchids too. I am no expert but mine survive. I have 7 & I always have several in flower. As you say when the last flower has dropped off I run my finger down the stem & cut above where there's a bulge. I then tell them that they are going upstairs for a little rest where they sit on a north facing window sill. When in the lounge they are on an east facing window. I feed about once a month with a weak solution of liquid seaweed as everything else does ;D. They don't like to sit in water I think they like to be pot bound. There are so many to choose from too.
Enjoy ;).

An 'expert' will give you more advice I'm sure.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:00:05 »
Jeannine..there is no dumb questions..but you did give a loads to answer..
Depending of variety and species..yep, some of them do get more stems.
Generally it is correct to cut the spent stems down to couple of inches or so and if they are going to produce more flowers again it will take few weeks until some signs will show. But if not the spent stem will just die off.
Dependind of species of the orchid they do have special requirements for the planting medium...not really a soil. Common ingredients are moss/rockwool and bark in different grades. What grade of bark is used depends of the type and size of the roots...the species thing again.. ::)
Aerial roots are ok..and it doesn't mean they need re-potting. Re-potting is usually one every year or two, but usually into same pot...it is done more for the lack of nutrients in the planting medium rather than for the space for the roots.
As for light..well it depends of the species..some have more needs for it than others..but generally they need some amount 'filtered' sun light..straight scorch is no no and no sun juts keep them going but they won't flower. In winter they propably need moving to area with more light.
Watering is best done by submerging the pot into a bowl of water (room temperature) until all bubbles stop emerging need good soaking and then draining all 'running' water off so there is nothing left standing. Over watering is most common way to kill them..and they are fussy about water too..tap water if its hard won't make them happy. Rain (soft) water would be best.
Aim to keep them evenly moist while they are growing and don't let them totally dry out..but not sodden neither. Once they go their 'rest' period..if they do..ease off from watering as they don't take up any water and they may rot. keep them in room where there is most even temperature and provide somehumidity with gravel tray.
HUH..some demands.. ;D..and that was just generalisation for all orchids.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:50 »
We had orchid GH in college..while I was growing them happily there..I just cannot keep them happy in my house.. ::)
They are fashinating plants to grow and once you find a 'spot' that they are happy with then they are 'doddle' to grow..
One of the plants that either like 'you' or not....
Don't you let orchid maddness take over your seedaholicness... ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:55:50 by goodlife »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:49 »
Hi

I just put mine outside this week.
I wire them into nooks in my apple and confiers for summer quaters.
They grow like this in the wild and absorb nurtients and water from thier airial roots. They seem to like it the moth orchids that is . The ones with fleshy bulb things that the leaves grow from actually like a little sun in the summer so i have them on outside windowledge west facing.

Just have to remember to pot them before the frosts!!
x sunloving

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:37 »
So glad you posted this thread, it must be catching! I'm well on my way to being a hooked novice  ;D I am also hoping we have some knowledgeable orchid folk on A4A

Up until recently I'd only kept a couple of Moth orchids which I love and think are gorgeous. Then a couple of years ago Hector sent me a bit of Brassolellocattleya Hawaiian Treat in a swap. This flowered for me last year and it has the most stunning orange spotty flower (thank you). Since it flowered I've bought 3 more different plants, I’ve not really got a clue what they are as no labels with them. I've been meaning to start a thread to ask if anyone knows so this is a good prompt for me.

Biggest mistake I made with the Moth orchid was at first I kept cutting off the flower spike once it had flowered and then had to wait for it to grow another. Luckily I found a bit on the internet which said as GrannyJ has, to cut above the next 'bulge' and hey presto a new flower shoot grows, I love them!

Sunloving, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try hanging them outside. But if I give it a try I'm not sure about the wire bit? How do I go about that mine are in pots at the moment.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 14:09:36 »
I love orchids and had lots but in the end found I got frequent ear infections so was allergic to them.  

I found they need quite a lot of sun.  They like light on their roots and when you water it is important to let the roots drain off.  I suspended mine over a pot of water which fitted the size of the pot so all evaporation went past the roots.  

I found they flowered most of the time.  As soon as  flower head died  I found they soon produced another one.   They seem to be in slow motion they grow very slowly and each flower lasts for months.  

I gave mine tap water but perhaps it depends on the type but I suppose mostly they had humidity which would be lime free.  

They produced lots of aerial roots, my daughter hates them thinks they are out to get
her.  

Had mine for a long time and never repotted them.  

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 16:31:43 »
I take them out of the pots them tie them in a branch join with the tree trunk either with wire of string , they do great and dont seem to mind cold nights but i bring them in in august when the nightime temp drops again below 10.

x sunloving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 21:32:02 »
Wow, loads of great help, thank you.I only have north facing windows so they have to take their chances with that. My tap water is incredibly soft, we have no problems with it. no kettle furring etc and no special water in steam irons..water leaves no residue at all, it hit me very hard in the UK, especially in ther bath or shower as I wasn;t used to scum. So I think my tap water will be OK for them.

The lables on them said  Taisuco Phalaenopsis whatever that is.

I would like to see a picture of them in the trees, it muct look stunning.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 22:31:58 »
Wow simple as  :o Thanks Sunloving but I may be cautious for a while longer as they are full of flowers and would be a shame to miss their blooms in the house.

Don't know the Taisuco part but for Phalaenopsis and (and other types) I've found this site quite helpful http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/phalaenopsis-orchids/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 22:58:05 »
Then a couple of years ago Hector sent me a bit of Brassolellocattleya Hawaiian Treat in a swap. This flowered for me last year and it has the most stunning orange spotty flower (thank you).

So glad its doing well for you, it  is one of my favourites :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 23:19:06 »
Jay, it is a company name, I just found it onlie, loicated about 18 miles from me..

www.taisucocanada.com

Oh eck, much too cloise for comfort

XX Jeannine

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 23:28:14 »
isn't it the case that people who become obsessed with orchids start murdering people?

like Going Postal only with Orchids

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:44:57 »
People who live in nice villages such as St Mary Mead and Midsomer should certainly avoid growing orchids. ;D 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:43 »
Phew, I should be ok as I'm not living in a village!  ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:46 »
told you so.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/8341406/The-flowers-that-drove-men-to-murder.html

When one of the world's rarest orchids is smuggled illegally into Midsomer Malham, it triggers a catalogue of passion, jealousy and death, or in my case, triggers of a catalogue of switching off the telly, and getting a life

http://www.midsomermurders.org/orchisfatalis.htm

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:32 »
Jay, it is a company name, I just found it onlie, loicated about 18 miles from me..

www.taisucocanada.com

Oh eck, much too cloise for comfort

XX Jeannine

Yep I fear much too close  ;D look forward to hearing and seeing how you get on  ;D

Here's my Orange spotty BHT
[attachment=1]

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 13:47:55 »
I love orchids, have had one constantly in bloom since Christmas, and have only watered it twice, with tap water. It was on a west facing window, but has spent the past couple of months "near" said window to make room for seedlings  ;D
Jeannine, if you're looking for an excuse for your new addiction, why don't you grow some Vanilla Orchids, 2 birds with one stone that way  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 18:33:49 »
It's not just the orchid owners you need to beware of, it's the plants themselves, if H G Wells is any guide. He wrote a story about a man-eating specimen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal