Author Topic: Garlic has gone to seed  (Read 10733 times)

staris

• Acre
Garlic has gone to seed
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:01 »
It looks like all my garlic is going to seed, it,s been in since November but the cloves are not as big as I would like.
Will I have to take it up now or can I cut the seed heads off and leave it a bit longer :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Garlic has gone to seed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:15 »
Don't know where you are but in this drought it will be quite common that the garlic cloves are not as big as in other years.  Now they are maturing and don't need much moisture, but a couple of months ago it would have been beneficial for clove size.

Don't worry about garlic going to seed.  It actually does not go to seed in a conventional way, but it will flower and on the flower stalk, which is called  a 'scape',   garlic bulbils will develop.  These can be as small as a corn of rice or smaller or they can be about half the size of a clove, depending on variety.  They are just as good to eat as garlic cloves.

This flowering is fascinating to watch.  All hardneck garlics flower.  Softneck varieties don't, but they can develop bulbils in the neck of the plant as a stress response.  When hardneck garlics start sending up scapes, these are usually tightly coiled and then uncoil and straighten out.  Yes the flowering does take away a bit of energy from the bulb development and this is why the usual advice is to cut them off.  But it makes not a lot of difference.  Garlic scapes are very delicious if you harvest them before they harden, at the coiled stage is best.  Nice chopped up for a mild 'green garlic' flavour.

My hardneck garlics have started sending up scapes too.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 23:39:32 »
i live up north (durham) and it's been very dry here as well , thanks for that info i'm glad i can still leave them in the ground a bit longer  :)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:34:25 »
chop the scrapes up and use in stir fries  ;D
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 16:27:12 »
Hi Ya, My garlic I thought was throwing seed heads but apparently not. It has been very dry and I have learned quite a bit about garlic in my first year. The seeds heads I am seeing are onions if they usually throw scapes. Interesting and thanks

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 19:53:15 »
Harvested my garlic the other day. One of the best crops I have grown   Bulbs a darn sight larger than the stuff in the shops. Now drying in the communal poly. I cut the scapes off hopefully before they straighten chop and freeze for future use hopefully for pesto. Ace have had some of them elephant pips growing for years in a pot. Nowt worth bothering with yet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal