Author Topic: Cheeky Redcurrent and gooseberry Jelly  (Read 2197 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Cheeky Redcurrent and gooseberry Jelly
« on: June 13, 2011, 14:51:43 »
My new wonder jelly 8)

2 lbs Gooseberries
1 lb Redcurrents
2 pints of water
3lbs sugar (granulated)
1 teaspoon chili flakes

top and tail gooseberries, rinse put in pan, rinse redcurrents stalks'n'all, also put in pan, add water and bring to boil, boil rapidly for 20 minutes, get potato masher out and mash, it will look like some witches brew but will smell fruity.. strain through Muslin cloth (or clean t-towel) leave overnight. Next morning put the strained liquid into pan (it should look a bit milky I think, mine did) add the sugar and bring to the boil stirring all the time to make sure that the sugar dissolves. Rapidly boil again for about 20-30 minutes testing after 20 to see it will set, I put a saucer in the freezer each time. Once its got to a consistency of nearly set jelly. Take off the heat, leave for 10 minutes to cool down then add the chili flakes, pour into warm jars and enjoy. I did this yesterday and had some with Roast Pork...even the kids loved it... hope you all do too. ;D

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Re: Cheeky Redcurrent and gooseberry Jelly
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 15:01:38 »
MMMM sounds good ! i did some last year with rosehips and crabapples, that was delicious with pork too. Wll be tryng this one , thanks. ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 16:33:29 »
My mouth is watering. How much did it make please Gadget. Sounds as if it would go well with a sausage casserole ;D.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:29:08 »
My mouth is watering. How much did it make please Gadget. Sounds as if it would go well with a sausage casserole ;D.

It made 2 medium size mayonnaise jars and 1 coffee jar and it would be perfect with sausage casserole.  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal