Author Topic: Favourite Low Calorie Meal  (Read 3273 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Favourite Low Calorie Meal
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:27:53 »
...apart from varius versions of salad! I am trying to lose a bit because I love to ook and love to eat, but I have trouble coming up with new ideas. Can anyone share their fave raves in the low cal repertoire?!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Favourite Low Calorie Meal
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:40 »
Sushi and sashimi
Totally yummy and low in fat high in nutrients and moderate calories.

boil rice leave to cool then ad vinegar salt and sugar to taste.

Slice up some yummy fish such as salmon tuna smoked makeral. along with some cucumber and spring onion sliced long ways.

Then either make small mounds with your rice and put in fridge then put fish and veg on top or roll into tubes using seaweed paper.

Make a dipping suace with wasabe (green horseradich paste) and light soy sauce.

Yum and no guilt
x sunloving

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 18:48:45 »
Butternut soup!  Yum yum yum.

1 large butternut, 2 leeks, 500ml chicken or veg stock, large pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper.  Bring it to the boil, the turn down to a simmer until the butternut is cooked.  Whizz it in the food processor until it's smooth, add hafl a cup of milk and test the seasoning.

It's fab!

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 19:49:35 »
Tomato soup

Tin of tomatoes (about 90 calories)
Tomato paste
tsp of sugar
onion chopped
garlic optional
skimmed milk
seasoning

simmer until cooked, whizz up. Serve with slimmers bread.

Low cal and cheap :)

donnythistle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 20:14:41 »
Thai chicken burgers

2 chicken breasts
6 spring onions
As little or as much oof the following depending on your tastes
chilli
lemongrass
coriander
mint
lime juice
garlic

Chuck it all in the food processor whizz together. form into 6 patties and dry fry for about 10 mins

Serve with home made coleslaw yummy yummy
life has new meaning since i became an allotmenter:)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:14:53 »
Thai chicken burgers

2 chicken breasts
6 spring onions
As little or as much oof the following depending on your tastes
chilli
lemongrass
coriander
mint
lime juice
garlic

Chuck it all in the food processor whizz together. form into 6 patties and dry fry for about 10 mins

Serve with home made coleslaw yummy yummy

Yum yum

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:18:03 »
Chilli Crab Linguine: (alternatively you can use prawns)
•   2 tbsp Olive oil
•   1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
•   2.5cm thingy of fresh ginger root, finely sliced
•   1 garlic clove, finely sliced
•   2 Shallots, peeled and finely sliced
•   200g dried linguine
•   250g white crab meat
•   handful of Parsley, finely chopped
•   juice of ½ lime

Method
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the chilli, ginger, garlic and shallots, until softened but not browned.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the linguine. Cook according to the instructions on the particular packet you are using.
3. When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the warm pan.
4. Stir the crab meat into the fried ingredients. Add the parsley and the lime juice.
5. Toss the crab mixture through the pasta and serve immediately.

Serve with a rocket salad with a little dressing.

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:20:09 »
I like the Indian version of baba ganoush - the Indian version is served hot and we eat it with pitta bread as opposed to naan bread to keep the calories down! I tend to make a batch of 5-6 aubergines and freeze a few portions to make it worthwhile for the oven being switched on. Here is the recipe:

1 aubergine
    1 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
    1 large tomato - peeled, seeded and diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    a handful of chopped fresh coriander

Directions

Rub oil on the outside of the aubergine, or coat with cooking spray. Place on a tray in a hot oven (220-240 C)  and cook until the flesh is soft and the skin is blistering off, about 20-30 minutes. Turn as needed for even cooking. Cut the aubergine in half lengthwise, and scoop the flesh out of the skin. Discard the skin; chop up the flesh or purée it using a stick blender, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, and let them crackle for a few seconds and turn golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. Add the onion, ginger and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Don't let the onions get very brown. Stir in the tomato, and season with turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes.

Place the aubergine pieces/purée  in the skillet, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired. Garnish with fresh coriander, and serve.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:17 »
I'm starting to drool  :)
But my brain being fuddled can't remember the name of the aubergine dish tlc? I used to love it, but haven't had it in ages. also like the idea of freezing batches. Thanks  :)

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:44:26 »
1066, my recipe search comes up with Bhurta - but we are Gujarati and call it  something like odo with the d being a rolled sound - very difficult to explain and I am making a hash of it!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 18:11:15 »
Began Bharta is what springs to mind, but I remember this dish also being called by another name (not Bringal either), I guess that's where all the different languages come into their own !!  :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 19:10:14 »
Waldorf(ish) salad made with celery, apple and walnut pieces, mixed with fat-free yogurt and lemon juice rather than mayo. OK the walnuts arent calorie-free but they contain good natural fats rather than processed rubbish, and its more filling than a pile of lettuce and tomato.

And will second the sushi/sashimi - no idea what type of fish to use though, have heard you have to get it really fresh if you want to eat it raw, and I wouldnt have a clue!

[EDIT - sorry Katie I have just realised I have given you a version of a salad havent I!!]

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 20:25:44 »
Hi

I love salad with parma ham, boiled eggs, walnuts nom nom nom

Veg Curry with Red Lentils

Red lentils whatever the packet says per person
1 Butternut Squash diced
equal amounts of sweet potato
any other hard veggie - carrots, onion, mini sweetcorn
garlic
chilli
cumin
pinch of cinnamon
(all to taste)
Stock Chicken or Veg

You fry off the onions and anything else that needs to be softened then add the sweet potato and a egg cup full of water and cover for a few min to steam then add the butternut squash and cover for a few more min then uncover and cook till all dry then add the herbs/spices and any other veg and after a few min add the lentils after another couple of min add the lentils then whatever stock the packet of lentils thinks you need. Serve on own with rice or jacket potato and sour cream and then make sure you have plenty of toilet roll in the house and the windows open at night ;)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 23:10:41 »
Bacon & butternut risotto.  Made this tonight and got a thumbs up from my 17 year old son - who told me recently that salad is for girls.

300g risotto rice, 2 leeks, 1 butternut, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 litre veg stock, 1 packet bacon, 100g grated cheese, black pepper

Chop up the leeks and butternut (peel it first).  Slice the garlic thinly.  Make up the veg stock, get it boiling in a pan.  In another big pan, using Fry Light, stir fry the leeks for 5 minutes, add the butternut, garlic and rice, and fry for another 5 minutes.  Then start adding the stock a ladle at a time, stirring all the time, making sure the stock has been absorbed before you add the next ladle.  Keep doing this until the stock has all been used - takes about half an hour.  At the end of this, the rice should be cooked but still al dente and the butternut will be cooked, not mushy.  Take all the fat off the bacon and grill it until it's good and crispy.  Crumble it into the risotto, adding the grated cheese.  Serve with a green salad and a lot of freshly ground black pepper.

This serves 4 - 6, and although the cheese isn't very low calorie, it makes the risotto taste really good.  You can leave it out though - the risotto still tastes pretty excellent without it.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 09:55:44 »
The key to this is portion size. Try to avoid the obviously bad things like chips and fried food then eat whatever meals you normally enjoy cutting down the portion sizes; adding a side salad if you wish. This truely does work! I am a total foodie and cook everything from scratch. I love food, baking and entertaining. I was a big girl (size 18/20) but since taking this approach (and exercising alot) I have lost 91lbs and am now a size 8/10. Calorie counting by weighing ingredients is the most controlled way.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:20 »
Sushi and sashimi

Make a dipping suace with wasabe (green horseradich paste) and light soy sauce.

Did you know that virtually all wasabe actually isnt wasabe at all but a mix of mustard, horseradich and green colouring.  Real wasabe is almost impossible to get in the uk and if you can get it - it costs a fortune..
Anyway Fav low cal receipe...

Cod cooked in tomatoes

Fry onion and garlic for 5 mins in good olive oil
Add a tin of decent toms and a good handfull of chopped thyme - season and add a tiny bit of sugar..chili if you want
Put cod (or whatever..) fillets on top of the toms and cook out for 5 mins
Serve...
Simples
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 14:23:27 »
hi katynewbie  there is a lot fat healthy option for almost any recipe, i have lots of books and magazines (slimming world) is there anything specific you like main ingredients cos i should be able to find you something,
debbie

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 15:12:05 »
Slimming World recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala....just "Google" it. It's luscious!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal