Author Topic: Autumn king carrots sowing now? and spinach?  (Read 1471 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Autumn king carrots sowing now? and spinach?
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:31 »
Hi all,
I have a packet of Autumn King carrots, should I sow them now? Or even have I left it too late?

Also I have some winter spinach, when should I sow that? I am guessing that now is too soon.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Autumn king carrots sowing now? and spinach?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:39 »
Yes to the carrots but hold off the spinach until September.

Happy sowing :D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:10 »
I'm about to put some later carrots in.... the idea is to miss the fly that's active around now (by the time they germinate the fly won't be active...

chrisc

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:46 »
We don't seem to have carrot fly problems, but I do have terrible trouble with carrots in general. I got good germination from the earlies but since there has been no rain for 2 months. i think the hand watering is pretty insufficient for them so I am not expecting to actually get any carrots.

I have not grown Autumn King before, they look tempting on the packet!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:32 »
I hope it's not too late! The early sowings are coming along nicely, but I haven't even got round to digging the bed where the main-crop are going!! I've been too busy watering.

Hopefully, they'll go in some time in the next week (or so....).

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 21:34:49 »
I think its fine to sow carrots now to dodge the fly. Mine have only been in a fortnight and well covered with net. They germinated properly after the rain but I puddled the rows well when I sowed. Drought is a problem but after a few weeks their roots will go down. Autumn king can be left in to swell and grow with the autumn winter rains.
 BTW remember there's another flush of fly in Sept. How do you think I know? ::)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 22:14:11 »
That's good as want to sow more carrotss tomoz

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal