Author Topic: Fox has almost broken my spirit today - long sorry  (Read 12125 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Fox has almost broken my spirit today - long sorry
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 08:55:59 »
You can buy humane traps here http://www.foxtrap.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1122834-BLACK-42quot-HUMANE-FOLDING-URBAN-FOX-OR-FERAL-CAT-TRAP-FREE-CARRIAGE.html

I doubt there is only one fox though!

Be careful - in France it is illegal to trap without a license and also illegal to just transport the animal elsewhere (not to mention the fact that she could be feeding cubs etc in which case you will kill them off indirectly Here a licensed trapper must trap the animal then unfortunately kill it (which they do with a big club to the head... :-[ )  It may be the same in the UK.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 20:09:04 »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that the fox has been leaving my plot alone since male urine has been spread around the edges.
We have had heavy rain too here in Kent so maybe he is now able to bury his food in the clay & doesnt need to use my beds.
I also sprayed the raised bed boards/sides with a strong smelling insect repellant (a waterproof one). The citronella seems to have worked well. Luckliy I havent got anything in the beds that need pollinating.
I decided I wont get mothballs unless I really have to as I do hate the smell myself.
I also placed plastic bottles on canes that spin in the wind making a noise all over the place - I dont know if they have had any effect on the fox but the pigeons have gone & even my unnetted raspberries (very old canes i usually let the birds have) havent been touched. My plot has alot more toads on it again now so Im hoping Mr Fox hasnt even been there lately. Fingers crossed ;)
Thank you so much for all your encouragement. I am so glad I didnt give up my plot as Im thoroughly enjoying harvesting my fruit bushes & turnips. Will be brave & resow the beds the fox seemed to love the most later this week. x jane

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 22:20:19 »
Jane that's wonderful news and as they say in the films "no animals were harmed in the ....... :)
sanity is overated

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 00:16:01 »
great news  :)  Happy growing and gardening !

and thanks for the update  :)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:30 »
Great news  :) Growing stuff is a bit of a fight but worth it.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 07:34:23 »
Good to here Jane. Men have their uses after all ;) ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 08:39:04 »
Glad you are now winning, though keep up the measures because he could still be back.  The pgieons do not seem to take much notice of plastic bottles any longer but they do not seem to like Phacelia and anything intercropped with that seems to be safe.

It is always so depressing when disaster strikes but perhaps sucess if even sweeter afterwards. 

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 17:12:55 »
so glad mr fox is leaving your plot alone. at beginning of the year i had some unwelcomed visits from rabbits [sssshh] dont tell anyone but i used the wee trick and placed it around the fence  and they decided to go else where, i got a shed and no man so i had to supply

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 17:22:29 »
That is wonderful news, I had a few things I had found over this side to tell you but it seems you have it under control.

Well done too to all the A4A folks who jumped in to help, you are a grand lot you know.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 18:30:24 »
What you do without us.   ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:41 »
Im so glad the fox has gone else where :0)) 
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 12:14:57 »
petefj,
I've sent you a PM.

domw001

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:49 »
Crystalmoon I know how you feel, I really do and I am so glad you have found something that works.

(This has been posted on another website but you are the only poster I have found that knows how really angry this can make you feel)

Three years ago when I first got my plot I built a cage around my brassicas with canes and garden netting. It kept the pigeons out but the cabbage-white got in.

Last year I built a cage with canes and debris netting. It kept out pigeons and butterflies but was too heavy for the canes and would collapse at the slightest breeze.

This year I built a frame 18" high using 2x1 timber and, with the debris netting, it's secure from the usual pests and won’t fall down if someone sneezes.

I started planting out my summer & red cabbages & caulis 4 weeks ago and they were growing strong & healthy.

However the local fox population seems to think I have erected some sort of trampoline/lavatory for their exclusive use.

I went over a few nights ago and the nets were down and 75% of the plants underneath were flattened. I did a quick fix but went over again the following morning to do a better job of putting it straight.
And there they were. 3 "Basils" jumping around my plot as if they owned the place.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(           

They scarpered when they saw me but I would have given anything for a pack of dogs at that moment (and that’s from someone who tells his small sons that all bugs, worms and small crawly things are God's creatures and must be looked after).

Hopefully the plants will recover but, I swear, if I see another bushy tail riverdancing on m’cabbages I shall be calling for the Essex Hunt to pay Plot 69b a visit.

Failing that it looks like the male members of our family will be weeing in a bucket for a few days.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal