Author Topic: Allotment shop - help wanted  (Read 1882 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Allotment shop - help wanted
« on: June 18, 2011, 22:46:51 »
Is the writing on the wall for the decline of our allotment shop?

Since Christmas, we have lost 2 shop volunteers due to ill health with a third now also ill.  Two no longer work on the committee but do assist in the shop and nursery (due to disagreement with a committee member).   

Not wanting to sound selfish but any ideas on how we can get other plotholders more involved and willing to assist in some committee & allotment shop duties?  With an aging committee who not going to be around forever, we are finding it difficult to get new helpers.  I am unable to be on the committee due to being allotment supervisor working on behalf of the council so it is deemed as conflict of interest.  (sounds daft to me but that is what was said to me last November).  We have a full site with large waiting list that I would hate to see go into decline but can see the cracks already due to reasons as listed. Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 22:55:18 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

betula

• Hectare
Re: Allotment shop - help wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 23:54:34 »
Have you sent out a letter to all plotholders explaining the situation and appealing for help?

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:41:20 »
Get the commitee together and as many plot holders as possible at a meeting and give it to them straight. Ask them if they want the shop. Ask them if they would be able to cope without it and then you will have their attention. Sometimes people need a push and a shove in the right direction. Our commitee became stale and slowly but surely,over a period of time,things became lack lustre and flat,nothing was getting done,everything was being neglected. We had a meeting and gave a vote of 'No Confidence' to what was the commitee. We now have a fresh group of people running the show and all things are bright again,we even have our annual B-B-Q back on track :) I am not suggesting your commitee is becoming stale,but somebody has to get a grip or you will find yourselves at a point of no return.
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 18:26:01 »
Same old story whatever you get involved in it is the same faces that do all the work and others are content to watch the world go by, I agree with the above post 'Hit it on the line' kick some Butt,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal