Author Topic: Is there ?  (Read 1168 times)

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
Is there ?
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:24:47 »
Is there anyone else out there that has had, through no fault of there own, to downsize there plot/house/garden, if so, how did you cope,

thanks in advance

Desperately seeking garden
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Is there ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 20:14:10 »
Your question is a little too vague.

For what ever reason. We all seem to acumulate and need more space for it all as we get older We are rather magpie ish by nature.

It depends on what it is you need to reduce. And why.

Household stuff is fairly simple. A good auctioneer will get rid of any thing of monetary value.

You just have to accept that they will give you the best return possible because a lot of the things you value dearly for sentimental reasons are just a commodity. They take a percentage, for selling

I recall the solid oak carved bedroom suite my grand mother had which by all rights should have been worth thousands a couple of decades ago. We got a few quid for it from a dealer because we did not know we could have auctioned it. Today there are programmes on TV which help us to understand how to get rid of valuables.

Keep the small things. The auctioneer is after all still a dealer who will get a percentage. So, unless you NEED the cash, hang on to those small bits, ask them for an estimated value but be firm.

Also, make sure that you put a reserve on things. The auction house also has regular customers who are buyers.  Yes he will get a small percentage some times but the dealers still come to the sales every month and buy each time.   They like a tip on the Piccasso which is being offered without a reserve. Added to the catalogue, too late to go on to the internet.

By not putting a reserve in place you run the risk of some one getting £100 worth of stuff for £5 so always leave at least a small reserve on everything.

With the allotment, People usually give up half their space. Well only an idiot would give up the best half. For an allotment, you may not be allowed to sub let, most likely you will have to hand it  all back to the council for them to offer it to the next [erson on the list, they may not want to take back half.

However,  you could advertise for help offering half the harvest in return. You stay in charge, your helper gets half the fruit and veg. I think you could find some one to do that but do check with the council to see if you violate any of their rules by getting some one to help you. A lot depends on how you phrase your enquiry. The reply is often rather complicated but there are those who know a bit of law of this site. So be brave and say exactly what it is you need to know in your question.

Letting off half of a house garden is the simplest. There is just one agreement. 50/50 share. Assuming that it is a vegetable plot you are letting off. Who ever takes on your garden gives you half the crops..

If you can give more details, your anominity we will respect, there are several people who will offer good advice.

Be brave. tell us more.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 21:59:54 »
Urly I have no idea how I would cope without my garden and my heart goes out to you at the loss of yours, I know you worked hard on it and will miss it so much.

Maybe there is some organisation in your area who would really appreciate help with gardens/allotments?

If you werent so far away I have a list as long as your arm of jobs needing done at nursery school garden... I have been confined to the office and the garden is beginning to get out of control  :(

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:52:17 »
Urlybird I am sorry to hear of your predicament.  Is there a school nearby, lots of them have allotments these days and could do with help on them, or a charity like Thrive, or an old people's home?  Could social services put you in touch with someone who needs some gardening doing for them, years ago I used to do an elderly lady's garden for her.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:15:41 »
Have you looked into Landshare

http://www.landshare.net/index/

Can you advertise in your local shop?   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal