Author Topic: Bees on allotments - what are the rules?  (Read 19251 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Bees on allotments - what are the rules?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 19:50:25 »
Tony I think you are being slightly alarmist to say that bees can kill, and though stricly speaking that is possible if someone has an allergy to bee stings, but we have been taught that it is very unlikely because the percentage of those in danger is minute. Those in the know up here in the North East have never heard of anyone being killed by bee stings.  busy_lizzie

several horses and dogs have died this year from bee stings, I wasn't being alarmist, I was stating the truth!!

http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library/statement_-_sussex_horses_die_from_bee_stings_28-6-2011_1309338319.pdf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014734/Dog-stung-death-swarm-bees-chase-owners-home.html

and one human tragedy in the US
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378771/Swarm-bees-sting-Steele-couple-death-south-Texas-ranch.html

I could post more links, but you get the picture?

You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 19:52:22 »
Hi Tony, Hi all,  :)

I always discuss the presence of wild bees on my plots with plot neighbours and check so I would be aware if they had known allergies, So far no-one has.

I found a suitable course and have a space I could fence that would be suitable but I can`t have a years experience of keeping bees until after I could keep bees for one year.

Col

you could always keep them on my mates plot in Norwich, ( he's ticked all the boxes ) and get your experience with him?
let me know, I can arrange a meeting ( I'm sure he'd be willing to Mentor you )
You couldn't make it up!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 09:01:20 »
Hi Tony, Thanks for the links. Please don't think I am not being respectful to your posts, but we don't have killer bees in this country like they do in the USA. I believe the US undertook an experiment in the past and shipped in bees from various parts of the world, Africa being one of them. This was a bad mistake when it was found they had transported a really bad strain of aggresive bees. I am sure you will agree the US have not been exemplary as far as their treatment of bees is concerned and are at present shipping bees from Australia because of the growing incidence of colony collapse disorder in their country.

I am aware that bees loath horses or anything furry, thinking they are bears, so it is not surprising they would attack those poor creatures. No responsible beekeepr would allow them near a hive, as it would be asking for trouble. Bee keeping should not be undertaken lightly and without proper training, but apart from the inevitable stings, bees should also not be classed as killers. It is hard in the normal scheme of things to get permission to keep bees even if you are responsible, without having to deal with that prejudice.

Please don't take offence as I know you are the experienced beekeeper and I am only starting off, but everything I have learnt and read and been lectured about disagrees with the view that bees are killers. However I would be very interested to hear more if you have other links. Thanks, busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:37 »
I along with many others are very nervous of bees.I have learnt to respect them but I feel if there are any hives near me I want them to be in competent hands.

Enjoy your bees but best to take good advice :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:41 »
Please don't take offence as I know you are the experienced beekeeper and I am only starting off, but everything I have learnt and read and been lectured about disagrees with the view that bees are killers. However I would be very interested to hear more if you have other links. Thanks, busy_lizzie   

Hi Lizzie, here's a link you might want to read
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4534

the beekeeping forum is a great place for info, esp for new beekeepers! ( I've got the same forum name on there)

I ALWAYS carry an epipen in my beekeeping toolbox ( available on prescription from your G.P.
 not for me, but if anyone else is stung and has a bad reaction, and I'd only use it after speaking to ambulance crew / controller)

don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put anyone off, but to make folk aware that bees ain't cuddly pets, but are defensive creatures.
I've got 6 colonies, 4 of them on allotments, 2 in back garden. I do have alternative sites if they ever become aggressive, and I would then re-queen asap.

good luck with your beekeeping, and if you need any advice, feel free to ask on here, or join the beekeepingforum.co.uk where you will be welcomed !!

rgds, Tony
You couldn't make it up!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 18:08:20 »
Thanks Tony, Will do. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal