Author Topic: New ex bat hens  (Read 2414 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
New ex bat hens
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:34:17 »
Hello, I will be going to pick up our ex battery hens in a couple of hours. We are getting four.  Everything is ready for them at home, so I hope they settle in okay. I have got all the info about how to rehabilitate them, and although I have kept a couple of hens before, I know these are slightly different, as they might not be able to sit on a perch and do the normal things a hen does.  Does anyone out there have ex bats?  ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
Re: New ex bat hens
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 13:24:51 »
I used to have ex-bats. They will stand in the rain, not knowing what to do. They will lay eggs where they are standing, and may not have seen one before - they had cages with automatic egg removal. They may not eat most food, only pellets from a feeder. And they have to be put on the perch at night (you may find them roosting under the perch in the morning).

On the other hand, sometimes they settle very quickly, and eat worms, cabbages and things you didn't want them to get. They will soon learn to scratch around and dig up plants and make dust bath holes. They can be very tame, some of mine came indoors to explore. My cats were not impressed.

They are such fun, hope they soon settle in.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 23:48:34 »
Thanks Gipsy, I was pleasantly surprised when I brought the new girls home, because they are a lot livelier than I thought they would be. They were famished and ate the crumbs straight away, drank the water, jumped on the perches and one of them actually laid an egg in one of the nest boxes. All tucked up now. I brushed the food out of their shed before I locked them up as my sister said not to have any food around at night in case it encourages vermin. Altogether very pleased with them. It was lovely to hear the clucking in the garden.  :D busy_lizzie

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:37:18 »
How lovely to take on these hens and give them a wonderful life. I have only had hens since the end of april and if I ever have the room I would like to take on ex batts as i will have a bit of hen knowledge by then. Good luck with your girls and if you have time can you post some pictures of them when they first arrived and some more when they are established in a few months :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 18:48:42 »
How fab, did they have many feathers ? I hope that they soon become seasoned outdoor girls. Sounds like they have already settled in very well.
Let us know how you get on
x sunloving

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:09:13 »
It is a week since I got them and already their changes are marked. They have fluffed out  a lot, though a couple of them have a few bald patches, with only the little one (I have called her Angela) looks like she is oven ready. They have taken to free range life without any bother, and love the outside world. It is lovely to watch them pecking and scratching and having dust baths. I seem to get 2 eggs a day from the four of them. I introduced a handful of of mixed corn into their diet for the first time yesterday in the evening and they seem to really enjoy it. The only thing is they don't go on the perch now and seem to prefer to sleep in the nest boxes, which get very messy so I have to clean them every day.  Already I can recognise little personalities emerging. It is so relaxing watching them and they make a lovely chirriping noise. Really glad I have got them.  ;D busy_lizzie

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 19:57:19 »
One thing I love about the girls is their completely different personalities.  Some are complete madams like their mother!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal