Author Topic: Red mite and spider mite are they the same????  (Read 1636 times)

steve76

• Acre
Red mite and spider mite are they the same????
« on: June 13, 2011, 18:26:18 »
Hi all 
  sorry if this is a silly question but i was modifying my hen house at the weekend it use to be a duck house and on the roof which is tiled and under the lead flashing (bit posh for a hen house) i noticed about 6-8 what i think where red spider mite(very bright red easily visible to the eye) could not see any in side the house or on the hens so the silly question is are these the same as red mite??? i did treat the house and hens just in case...

Thanks all Steve

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Red mite and spider mite are they the same????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 13:08:22 »
The mite you can see in your hen house..alhough red..is bird mite = northern fowl mite.  There is some sources that call it red mite..but it is not proper name.
There is pest for the plants that is called Red Spider Mite, but those have nothing to do with birds.
If you can see red mites in your hen house..those are mites that have already fed from you birds and are full of their blood! Those mites that haven't fed yet you will struggle to see..so don't assume you've got rid of them..I would reapeat the treatment again within 10 days from the last treatment.

steve76

• Acre
Re: Red mite and spider mite are they the same????
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 21:40:53 »
Thanks for that, better to play it safe, going to stock up on treatment tomorrow.

Thanks again goodlife ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal