Author Topic: Anyone grown Taro?  (Read 872 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Anyone grown Taro?
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:32:25 »
While shopping today I noticed the  taro, usually it is huge but today they also had small tubers about the size of a small pear. I am presuming it is a bit like spuds. some are big but new ones are often smaller.

I wondered about getting some of the baby ones and planting them just to see.

Anyone got any personal info?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Anyone grown Taro?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:24:34 »
That reminds me to buy some from Chinese supermarket. I haven't grown any for years, but used to grow them for the beautiful leaves. I just put them in the ground, and up they came until the frosts. I never looked for any crops from them, so this probably isn't very useful to you.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Anyone grown Taro?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:17:27 »
I've been growing some in pots for a few years and agree the leaves look gorgeous really lovely looking plants. I’ve read these can be overwintered in the house. They are surely attractive enough, although I’ve never got around to it. 

Mine were labelled Eddoe in the supermarket and sound similar to yours as these are the smaller tuber types not the big football ones. I’ve found they do well either in the polytunnel or greenhouse, grown in large pots (12-15 litre) in multi-purpose compost. They are really easy plants, I water well when compost has started to dry, I’ve not noted any problems with pests. Mine usually end up under the benches and they seem too do well in this semi shady spot.

Remarkably they survived last winter freezing temperatures in an unheated greenhouse. Though I think this was more luck than judgement as I was sure I would have lost them. Generally they do seem to overwinter well as long as the compost is kept dry. They soon start to sprout in spring once the weather and light improves.

Numbers of underground tubers increase over the season, though these can be a bit small and may need another seasons growth to be a decent harvest size. Not a hugh crop but suits me as I don’t eat them too often.

I think I started my shop bought tubers (2) individually in small pots of compost, just covering the tubers and then in a propagator. I don’t think they took long to start producing leaves and they haven't looked back.

Easy to grow, minimal work, looks good and produces a crop, my type of plant ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal