Author Topic: Perennials for shade  (Read 4284 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Perennials for shade
« on: May 24, 2011, 15:08:37 »
I've got a north facing fence that I want to plant up against. I've already got a list of climbers to grow up it, but I'd also like to plant along the base of the fence.

It gets about 2-3 hours of sunlight first thing in the morning during the warmer months, but that's all. I've got heavy clay soil. I like white, purple, yellow, blue and deep red flowers and different shades of greenery. I like cottage garden plants, rather than anything exotic.

Ideas? All I can think is hostas (although I don't fancy those because of the slugs) and a few ferns.
gone to pot :D

small

• Hectare
Re: Perennials for shade
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 15:44:22 »
My mum's front garden is north facing and only gets a bit of afternoon sun. For perennials, we have lily of the valley, campanula carpatica, valerian, centaurea....foxgloves regularly pop up unbidden - have you thought of cottage garden annuals? Last year I did her a lovely show of pot marigolds, californian poppies and annual cornflower, this year she's decided to go for roses and pinks as permanent planting, so that's a bit of an experiment. Let's report back!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:47 »
Thanks Small. I didn't realise they could grow in shade! I think adding annuals is a good idea to fill in the gaps while it gets established. I love lily of the valley and foxgloves, but as I have a young son I'll avoid those for now. I do have some foxgloves at the back of my sunny border, but it's about 5ft deep, so he can't get to it. The shady border will only be quite narrow.

Oh I just had a thought, can ornamental grasses grow in shade?

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 13:25:17 »
Our shady border gets early morning sun.  Aquilaegia are very happy there, as are hardy geraniums, which go mad!  it's also a great spot for spring bulbs as they last a lot longer than in the sunnier spots, and really light up the shadows with their vibrant hues.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 13:46:43 »
I have a nne facing dry and shady border. I have roses (ramblers - albertine and alberic barbier), clematis, honeysuckle, cotoneaster horizontalis and euonymus fortunei + alchemilla mollis, epimediums, hellebores, delphiniums, brunnera macrophylla and a hypericum hidcote.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 14:32:28 »
Fantastic! I didn't know these plants could grow in shade. I definitely need to get a rambling rose, honeysuckle and clematises to grow up the fence. And I've got Alchemlia mollis that self sows, so I will have to move those. And any excuse to get more aquilegias and geraniums is always welcome! I've got daffs and crocuses planted there already, but we've got fed up with the scruffy long grass until they've died back, so I thought, well I'm just going to have to turn it into a bed, shame!  ;D

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 21:22:20 »
Lots of lovely suggestions already.

Just wanted to add about the roses. They would do really well because of your clay soil, but it's worth double checking if the particular variety is shade tolerant as they do vary. Peter Beales' catalogue is great for information:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/  You can do a search by colour and qualities, such as shade tolerance.

Mme Alfred Carriere is one of my favourite roses, a climber with white/cream flowers and a magnificent scent. It is vigorous and good in shade.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:28:30 »
thanks Morris, I'l have a look at those. The rose you mentioned sounds great. I love white roses.

ETA - I've just been having a look at the roses - they are gorgeous. I particularly love the species roses although they are probably too big, but trying to pick one that looks quite natural.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:51:41 by aquilegia »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:56:21 »
For grasses, have a look at golden forms of hakonechloa and millium.  I have both of these in shade and they really light it up.   Geranium macrorhizum does well in shade and has scented leaves that colour up in autumn and stay through all except the hardest winters.  There are white and pink flowered forms.   Geranium phaeum has dark purple splodges on its foliage and either white or purple flowers.     Chelone is another good perennial for shade and has a white flowered form as well as the more usual pink.

Small, hummocky Japanese maples would like the shade as long as it's protected from strong winds which can also burn the foliage.   Podophyllum "Spotty Dotty" likes shade as long as it's not dry.   Woodland plants such as primroses and wood anemone would be happy .    Solomon's seal and alstromaerias (Peruvian lily) will love it too.

For best results with all of these - and especially roses and clematis, work in lots of well rotted manure and/or garden compost and some fine grit to aerate the soil and improve drainage and allow their roots to spread and seek nutrients.  Once planted and watered in, keep mulched with regular applications of garden compost in winter.  the worms will work it in for you and the plants will be very happy.
Obxx - Vendée France

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 17:33:28 »
I have a north facing front garden too!

It gets sun first thing for couple of hours then a little of late day sun

I have foxglove, marigold, ornamental grasses, dianthus, viola, geraniums,centaurea, aquilegia.

Debs

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 17:19:38 »
don't forget Lamium which survived last winter in my shady spot. It's really doing well (in flower atm) which I was so surprised about. Jacob's Ladder is good too (both insect-beneficial)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 17:50:04 »
I have Lentern roses (Helleborus) along my north facing border which are lovely earlier in the year of course.
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 19:46:05 »
Any of the arums. Italica is quite decorative in a quiet way, and if you can get Creticum, it has bright yellow flowers and, surprisingly for this genus, a sweet scent.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 21:43:20 »
ok this is not relevant to this particular thread but its starting to annoy me.

what ARE the 5 foods that you should not eat to cut down on belly fat ????

Debs ???

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 22:53:31 »
Larfd, lard, lard, lard and lard Deb........ ;D ;D ;D ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 15:59:56 »
Here is a list of Hardys cottage garden shade plants. You can also use the site to search for any aspect.

http://www.hardys-plants.co.uk/searchresults.asp

Just click plants, then situation, then search.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 21:08:46 »
A lot gets written about plants for shady areas, but I find that most plants will adapt. Sure you couldn't put certain plants in shade, but I have many in my shady area which are doing well. Delphinums, even!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 21:56:04 »
I do like my ferns.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:00 »
Thanks for all the replies. I need to make a list and do some research.

I'm just watching GW about shade loving plants for bees, so just to keep them all together, I'll add what they suggest:

Geranium nodosum Dark Heart
Lamium Maculatum Spotted dead nettle

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 13:03:55 »
Think twice about that lamium.  I planted some a few years ago as a ground cover and have bee trying to get rid of it for the last 3.  It's persistent invasive stuff.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal