Author Topic: Best / worst tips ever  (Read 6022 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Best / worst tips ever
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 07:05:23 »
That's a good one, I'm paying that price this year as well. I have volunteers all over the place. Lesson learnt  :-X

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 07:18:55 »
Worst tip i had was given by Geoff Hamilton(idid like him God bless him) Cut your spirea down to almost ground level. It never came back.
Best tip was to put rhubarb leaves under the gooseberries. I haven't had asawfly since
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 07:20:57 »
I am also another one paying the price with volunteer spuds that will teach me to do the job properly

pumkinlover

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:45 »
Will try the gooseberry/ rhubarb leaves Shirl, I don't suppose you can remember how it works?
Mind you -I would have forgoten the tip!!!! so no chance with how it works ;)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:42 »
Keep seeds in fridge - they really do last longer (sowed 1995 Marmande tomato seeds this year and 4 out of 5 germinated!)

Rats don't like hot chilli powder - scatter on kitchen waste and they'll leave your compost heap alone (at least it's worked for me).

Harden tender plants off - it does make a difference unless you're very lucky with the weather.

Big slugs eat small slugs not plants - totally not convinced they don't just eat everything!

Skinny spiders (that look like daddy longlegs) eat monster house spiders -  I don't kill them but don't see how they can.

Going to try rhubarb leaf tip - might also work on Soloman's Seal which is always eaten by sawfly.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 08:12:10 »
CABAGE  Dont pull your cabages cut the head off and cut a cross in the top of the stalk another four small cabages will grow on
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24:09 »
Will try the gooseberry/ rhubarb leaves Shirl, I don't suppose you can remember how it works?
I should imagine its something to do with the acid PL the sawfly emerges from under the goosegog
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

JimB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 16:17:51 »
Best Tip
Listen to all advise given but then do it how you think.
If you're wrong, you learn, if your right, don't change it.

pumkinlover

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 20:55:14 »
I should imagine its something to do with the acid PL the sawfly emerges from under the goosegog

Oh I thought they just couldn't fight their way out from under the big rhubarb leaf!!! :)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:48 »

Oh I thought they just couldn't fight their way out from under the big rhubarb leaf!!! :)

Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid which is a nephrotoxic and corrosive acid that is present in many plants, including goosberries so I guess that must be why the gooseberry bush doesnt suffer and yet the sawflies perrish.

This is my first year of gooseberries as in all previous years the plant has been ravished by caterpillas and I only recently learnt that caterpillas emerge from the soil and not eggs on the leaves (am I correct on this?).

My gooseberrie was moved in autumn and is next to the rhubarb anyway so maybe they are good companions.

Thanks for the tip. :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:37:19 by Dandytown »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal