Author Topic: Life at 'Henville'  (Read 1476 times)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Life at 'Henville'
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:38 »
Well we took the plunge and collected our first three Hens a month ago, and what a month it has been :) Once safely settled in to their super modified fortress of a hen house and run, Abbeygail (Bovans Silver), Gemima (Marans Coucou) and Scarlett (Bovans Goldline) started to make their presence felt. Abbeygail is definately the boss the number one hen and doesnt let the other two forget it. She is very communicative, can be very loud and funnily immitates Bella the mad bad english bull terrier from the house at the back of us. When Bella goes into a barking fit Abbey make a loud noise back at it that sounds like a dog bark :) Gemima is more laid back and loves nothing better than her grub and a dust bath followed by a sunbathe. Scarlett is quite happy to do her own thing but hates being made to go back to the run she would be happy to roam the garden all day.
Abbeygail is laying already she started on Bank holiday monday and we have had on average 6 lovely eggs a week from her. It still feels like a little miracle to find a perfect egg in the nestbox. I know she was a couple of weeks older than the other two so expect eggs from them in the next 3 weeks or so. We havent had an issues from the hens and cats at all.  Every morning Lillie comes out with me to do the hens and she 'talks' to them through  the hen house door. The only cat a bit fazed by then is Harry who I am sure thinks there are winged monsters in the garden. He is getting braver though and even allowed them to wander into his cat house and run, he returned the favour by going in the hen house and refuseing to come out. We only let them run around in the garden during the daytime when I am perminently in the garden just in case. The hens love this but my poor veggie plants dont. I have had to put everything under polytunnel and Abby will still find a way to get intside it. Hence they are not into the sweetcorn cobs, hanging cabbage or swede but prefer their green fix in the garden. They love their corn ration and mealworms though.  They are endearing little souls and i wish we had got some years ago.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Life at 'Henville'
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:10 »
 ;D...sounds like idyllic life with feathers and furry things.. ;D Yep...usually the chickens are quite capable to put cats in their place. Even one of my terriers didn't go near them as she was worried the sharp beak that she'd experienced on her nose once... ;D
Isn't it suprise how quickly every living thing in garden soon settle to their 'place'...talking about animals...with chickens and plants there is nothing settling about that combination.. ::) Are yours roaming around all the time?
Mine are only allowed out of their pen under strict and watchful eye..or there is not plants left  that would have roots in soil.. ::)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Re: Life at 'Henville'
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 14:01:05 »
Hi Goodlife, I have learned the hard way about chickens and plants :( The only way to do it is to cover everthing up and be there keeping a wathcfull eye. They are so clever they are like garden terrorists lol. They are not out all day just for a couple of hours a day with me and cats keeping an eye. We have ordered a day run for them not huge (as only a small garden) but big enough I think at 6ft square and it can easily be moved around so they dont get bored. Its funny but its like we have always had them :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal