Author Topic: Sarracenias  (Read 3690 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Sarracenias
« on: April 26, 2011, 19:04:36 »
How's everyone with Blackkitty2's Sarracenias doing? My Flavas are growing away strongly, one with a flower bud, but the others aren't doing much yet.

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sarracenias
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 22:27:24 »
Mine are in the same state of play as yours, but without the flowers, just struggling at the minute due to lack of rain!
Joanne

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 17:58:20 »
Give them plenty of water. Mine are in pots sitting in a couple of inches, and being topped up regularly.

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 22:30:45 »
i keep raiding the water butts at allotment but they are runing low now it seems to be working as i noticed today the flava is starting to form heads at the end of the stems. Fascinating plants really
Joanne

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 22:56:37 »
Please put me out of my misery, what are these Sarracenias? What am I missing. 

Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 23:10:11 »
Mine are all in flower and looking fantastic, i have split half a dozen and now have around 30 plants ;D
Sarracenias are carnivorous plants.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 00:02:25 »
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5520.html . I grew them years ago, and I'm very glad to have them again! They're quite easy, but they do need to be kept very moist as they're bog plants. They eat insects to compensate for the lack of nutrient in the soil.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 00:04:21 »
i keep raiding the water butts at allotment but they are runing low now it seems to be working as i noticed today the flava is starting to form heads at the end of the stems. Fascinating plants really

Most likely the 'stems' are the pitchers; they don't open until they've grown. The only real stems you get are the flower stems, which have obvious buds on the ends right from the moment they emerge.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 22:05:33 »
S. Leucophyela x pope and S. minor fitzgeraldco both growing, but only slowly. Lots of new leaves/pitchers just begining to appear.
Darlingtonia californica doing well and flower opening on one plant and flower but just appearing on second plant. New leaves/pitchers also begining to appear and both leaves and flowers are quite different from Saracenias.

They are in pots standing in trays of water. They are by the pond so easy to top up with water, but as the general water is free of any chalk I usually use the hose pipe to water them as it is much easier.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 18:16:35 »
How easy it it to grow Darlingtonia? I believe they need a cool root run, so are they better off in the shade?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 18:58:12 »
im growing my Darlingtonia under the potting bench in the green house as Ceri told to me to and they seem to going great guns.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 22:51:06 »
Only went to get them today, having been in Ceri's care they look great. It was impressive, I hope I can look after them as well.
It was so kind of her to do this, and the Care instructions too! :) :) :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 23:01:00 »
Please put me out of my misery, what are these Sarracenias? What am I missing.

Well, come on then, what are they. ??? ::)

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 23:43:51 »
See the link I posted earlier. One of my flavas now has two open pitchers, minor is just beginning to grow, very slowly, and leucophylla x popei is still sulking.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 22:19:28 »
Ah, pitcher plants.

valmarg

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:34 »
Just watched the first fly go to its death!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal