Author Topic: Gooseberry Bushes  (Read 5107 times)

bethel

• Not So New ...
Gooseberry Bushes
« on: January 24, 2005, 18:56:36 »
Can some nice person help a newbie allotment holder with his Gooseberry Bushes?

I have just acquired my first allotment and need to know whether to cut the old wood back or do i leave it for new growth?

Thanks

Painter

• Not So New ...
    • swillingtonallotments.com
Re: Gooseberry Bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 23:10:32 »
Hi Bethel and welcome to a great site,
 there are a number of ways to prune a gooseberry bush, make sure the bush is open in the centre to prevent overcrowding and assist in ripening fruit, cut out older branches and then prune all new sideshoots to a bud  pointing upwards or outwards about 3" from their base. remove any old, unproductive branches as you go through the season. Enjoy your new Allotment
A little better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow

bethel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 18:41:06 »
Many thanks for your reply

i have no new growth showing does this mean they could be dead

thistle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 19:45:31 »
They could be dead but there's not a lot happening with my gooseberries either at the moment.  Yours too are probably waiting for a bit of spring weather before they start moving. 

Prune now whilst they're still dormant.  I just thin out the middle to make picking easier, get rid of any branches that cross over another, and take a couple of inches off all over.

bethel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 21:59:39 »
Many Thanks again

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 16:04:29 »
My establishing goosegog bushes are all green and looking sexy.....well as sexy as a prickly fruit bush can look on the allotment, but my new standard red fruiting goosegog is still looking rather dormant.  (Not saying the d$#d word in case it hears me and is offended!)

bethel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 16:41:31 »
No I am sure they do look sexy, More Sexy when your picking them to make a lovely Gooseberry Fool

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 15:59:15 »
One of the 3 goosegogs has just started to come out in leaf (as has a blackcurrant (well i think it is a black one))
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 20:07:01 »
I can only boast buds. Did a lot of pruning on G'gogs and currents last year. Planted quite a few cuttings which also are in bud....can't beat free fruit, eh,eh.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 00:05:08 »
ooooooooo and be warned....you know what you find under gooseberry bushes!  :o

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 20:40:54 »
one of the guys on our allotments has just given me some blackberry bushes (7), some gooseberry(5), and some raspberry and at the moment I have no space. I have just got a second bit of allotment..the person next to me decided they only wanted half a plot...so I am busy digging out all the couch grass....what I need to know is can I just heel all these bushes in, continue digging ,and in a month or so, when I have finished digging it over, can I then organise them in rows under a fruit cage....I only have a very small plot myself and haven't got any fruit bushes, so I am anxious to do everything right ,but I can't do it all at once...what shall I do

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 21:22:43 »
I they're bare rooted you should realy get them in before the end of March, if not sooner

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 10:49:10 »
If you really can't get 'em in as MT suggests, at least put them in pots or soiled filled sacking. If the roots dry out you've lost 'em.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 20:04:38 »
I put my goosegog bush in last year - the buds are appearing but it's a bit slow up here in Scotland 'cause our weather is naff.  Anyone know when i should expect fruit if they only went in last year?  How much room do they need also?

Cheers ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal