Author Topic: Members taking on second plots?  (Read 13335 times)

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Re: Members taking on second plots?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:11 »
        I have been watching this thread with interest.  I took on the allowed half plot in Jan (the beginning of our 'year') after being on the waiting list for 2 years.  Luckily it was worked until the end. The greenhousewas taken (which I knew) and all fruit, including apple tree, moved (which I hadn't realised).  Tumble down shed was left, which is fine.  It took me a few months (okay, several) to get going by which time there was a really good crop of dandelions, thistles etc.  I covered it all with plastic after getting those out and then dug bit by bit and planted it all out.

There were several plots which were taken on by better men (which I'm not) than me.  Some plots looked as if they hadn't been worked for months and it occured to me that the committee could invest in black plastic to cover all of these plots until the new tennant takes over.  They could be covered once someone said they were giving up or after a 'third warning letter' after inspections.  I am sure this would be popular with neighbouring plot holders who suffer from the weed seeds blowing over and new tennants who have an easier job.

This doesn't help with rubbish being left though.

Oh, and in answer to the original question:

I don't think that existing multiple plot holders should have plots taken away

Newbies should only have a half plot and only offered a full plot when they have proved themselves (not necessarily to gold medal standards)

No one should have a second plot unless there is no takers from the waiting list

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:16:04 by redcoat »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:33 »
I have a question about deposits, we discussed this at our last AGM, and decided against them as it may exclude those on benefits or small incomes - £20 can be a lot when you don't have much. What do you do about that? we decided it was better to try and 'manage' plots more closely to stop them becoming overgrown, and therefore needing to clear plots after someone has given them up.
Would be interested to hear how people deal with the deposit question

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 22:30:40 »
Yes I think it would be a shame to go the deposit route, the same as I think going down the route of raising rents in order to make people appreciate their plots would also be a shame. Allotments seem a wonderful haven from all of that 'if you can afford it you're entitled to it, if you can't you're not' ethos we live by generally.

Some people on here have done great things to reduce newbie failure rates by offering starter plots, advice and support, and that has helped them have well-maintained sites. I'm really impressed with sites where you can ask people to help out if you're ill for example. Our site is far away from being able to do that. Maybe one day... Good luck with the plan, 1066.

Oh and by the way, I was exaggerating for comic effect about the burnt out cars and trees - obviously that's too much for anyone. I did look at an allotment like that in Wimbledon, when I lived there. I said no. I can cope with brambles, but trees and cars are too much!   :o

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 22:33:47 »
LOL at cars and trees - or should that be Cry Out Loud!!

Yes, I'm very unsure about deposits, and I don't think we'll be doing it  :)

johnlawrence84

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:04 »
i have two allotments,one i have had for 43 years,another chap has four allotments.
when we both first started nobody wanted them.now we are under pressure to give
them away.i have shown prospective new people round the site.
but when they have to start work in them,some say its too hard.
the site then gets abandoned.i beleive if you can work them you should keep them.
jolly john

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:13 »
I agree. Several of us on our site have more than 10 poles. We took them on, quite often reluctantly, when no-one wanted an allotment, and we've kept the site going. I wouldn't dream of insisting, or even suggesting, that everyone down-sizes; unless, of course, they're not working the land!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 13:22:51 »
No I agree, you get very attached to them, don't you? And so much work, so much thought goes into a plot. You might as well ask us to give up our children!  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 14:13:15 »
No I agree, you get very attached to them, don't you? And so much work, so much thought goes into a plot. You might as well ask us to give up our children!  ;D

hmmm which would be easier, your kids or your plot?

on 2nd thoughts, don't answer  :D I'm getting me coat......

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 14:33:19 »
That's one of those questions you should never ask...  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 17:11:57 »
I am on a private site and we do have a deposit.

All the original plots were handed over bare earth but undug.  All those given up were very weedy and work was done on them before the next tenants took over.

Cruz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 23:23:47 »
How would you solve this one?
A new plot holder had demanded a second 10-rod plot. Under our rules, we do allow members to hold up to 2 x 10-rod plots, but only if they can demonstrate they are able to maintain their initial plot to a good standard for two seasons. (This is because in the past people have shown lots of enthusiasm, taken a second plot immediately and then given up...)
Our new guy won't accept our judgement and has complained to all and sundry. Now, his "sister" wants to take a plot and we have added her to the waiting list. But we are worried that his "sister" won't actually do any of the work, but he will. How can we ensure that his "sister" does the work and he doesn't acquire a second plot by deception? Any allotments have declarations, or things of that sort, that they ask plot holders to sign in cases like this?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 23:31:43 »
Happens all the time.................

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:29 »
Surely that would be a case of sub letting wouldn't it.
Some have the attitude that rules are there to be broken.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 21:04:08 »
How would you solve this one?
A new plot holder had demanded a second 10-rod plot. Under our rules, we do allow members to hold up to 2 x 10-rod plots, but only if they can demonstrate they are able to maintain their initial plot to a good standard for two seasons. (This is because in the past people have shown lots of enthusiasm, taken a second plot immediately and then given up...)
Our new guy won't accept our judgement and has complained to all and sundry. Now, his "sister" wants to take a plot and we have added her to the waiting list. But we are worried that his "sister" won't actually do any of the work, but he will. How can we ensure that his "sister" does the work and he doesn't acquire a second plot by deception? Any allotments have declarations, or things of that sort, that they ask plot holders to sign in cases like this?
You're saying that you won't let this guy another plot because you don't think he'll cultivate it, and you won't let it to his sister because you're sure he'll cultivate it.  That sounds odd?

You have a cultivation standard, right?  So why not just enforce that and stop worrying about who has what.   Simples!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 21:15:37 »
I think I can understand the concern.

Just taken on my plot and so tempted to have one right opposite my gate that the farmer has just spaced out.I thought it would be brilliant to have just for fruit and a nice seating area but have to question myself ,could I keep two plots up to standard and I think the answer is no.

Maybe he has concerns that this guy's original plot is not up to the mark.

Cruz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 23:06:56 »
The "sister" trick has so far been tried on us twice. The first time around, the plot holder became overstretched working both his and his "sister's" plot and subsequently gave up in the middle of a season. Evictions here take 3-4 months so the mere fact of having two plots meant land was tied up that could otherwise have been usefully been cultivated by somebody else.
In the other case, the "sister's" plot has been brilliantly cultivated by the brother, whose own plot is fine too. However, the complaints about effective queue jumping from members who wanted second plots are now legendary. We have a lot of people who want plots, but trying to satisfy everybody is difficult and people trying to circumvent the rules irritates a lot of hard working committee members. So many people see rules as things other people have to obey, not them.
(By the way, the situation is a lot worse than I have been able to sketch out here, but you get the general idea!)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:49 »
If you have a waiting list I do not understand why second plots are available really.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal