Author Topic: Old Caravan  (Read 9193 times)

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
Old Caravan
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:40 »
In my new plot is an old caravan that is made of (what I believe to be) some kind of alloy. It's been there for decades so is probably deeply rooted but I don't want it there. It's an eye sore and takes up room for no reason. So what's the best way to shift it? On the allotment part of the fence doesn't exist because the back of one of the old pigeon lofts acts as the fence. I plan on knocking this down (along with 3 other lofts) so there should be a gap to get it out before I reconstruct a fence.

So, is it best to cut it up in small pieces, a little at a time and send to the tip? Or should I muster many hands and try and push it out of location and onto the road? If this is the best option, what do I do once it's out the allotment? My car is capable of towing, but this van is definately not in a towable state.

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Old Caravan
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:35 »
Could it be worth a bit as scrap? Give a local scrappie a ring, maybe they will clear it for you.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:08 »
Could it be worth a bit as scrap? Give a local scrappie a ring, maybe they will clear it for you.

Thanks, just emailed a couple and see what they say. Be ok if they give me a bit money for it, but if not I'm not bothered as long as it's gone. Got enough mess to clean up without the need to worry about this caravan.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 13:18:50 »
I'd be tempted to tart it up and make a feature out of it. Bodge it so its waterproof, get some brightly coloured paint, solar lighting, camping cooker, rip out the old fittings and re-do the interior, lay paving stones around it and get the beers out!

..unless its really beyond salvation, in which case try the scrappers or Freecycle.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 13:36:23 »
I'd be tempted as Lewic says- kitsch(?) especially would be brilliant-  but maybe not your thing!!

Anyway there is scrap value- at least our friend thinks so as he's just chopped one up for the aluminium recycling!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 17:15:31 »
If it's an old alloy bodies caravan it might well be worth a few bob to the calssic caravan crowd.... they're pretty demented...

chrisc

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 19:31:11 »
Once upon a day scrappies wouldn't  take a caravan even if you towed it to them and gave it away free, there's actually very little aluminium in a caravan, the sheet ally they use is unbelievably thin, there mainly wood and laminate. With the advent of aluminium chassis and the rise in price of aluminium it might just be worth taking them now.  Thats why you would sometimes see them abandoned in lay bys and country back roads ( well we used to get them here in lincolnshire)
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 19:58:51 »
Not wanting to publicise my dementia,  but I'd go along with Chris. There's a caravan section here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 23:03:00 »
Hi  i would defo have it as a shed mate  cooker/ fridge /radio / seats  /ect . If i could get one on my plot i would ! Happy Days .ATB Roy
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:42 »
Hi  i would defo have it as a shed mate  cooker/ fridge /radio / seats  /ect . If i could get one on my plot i would ! Happy Days .ATB Roy

It's really not in the condition to use as a shed, plus it's taking up space that I could really use.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:49 »
This thread is really showing up the recyclers I would have tarted it up too. I just love anything quirky as long as its not an eyesore.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:50:05 »
This thread is really showing up the recyclers I would have tarted it up too. I just love anything quirky as long as its not an eyesore.

It's an eye sore though, and probably an eye sore full of mice seeing as though that's where my grandad stored all his pigeon feed.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:43 »
It will be aluminium sheeting, we have a similar case on one of our town allotments when someone left and along with their old caravan they left a load of tyres, a total eye sore in anyones eyes,

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 19:10:47 »
If it's too far gone to use as a shed it's probably not much use to anyone. Get an axe, break it up, and put it on a skip. I once did that with a mini.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 19:13:21 »
If it's too far gone to use as a shed it's probably not much use to anyone. Get an axe, break it up, and put it on a skip. I once did that with a mini.

The advantage of Citroen 2CV6's are you turn them upside down and they are there own skip.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 22:53:30 »
LOL! ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 22:57:26 »
Old tyres can be very useful on an allotment. Stack them to use as deep planters. Stack them and use as compost heap. Put them on top of covered beds, which are not in use. They hold the covers down well all through heavy winds. I would not be without my tyres!!
I think an ols caravan could have potential too but I guess if it is in a very poor condition, it would be better to remove it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 19:00:42 »
Any piccies Hightower.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

stargazer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 19:53:31 »
How awesome to have a caravan on your plot! - I too was just going to ask for some piccies! :P

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 20:34:10 »
Put in on ebay, someone will buy it.  ;) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal