Author Topic: Blue water pipe  (Read 22649 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Blue water pipe
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:25 »
have just ordered some debris netting on ebay and now want to get some water pipe to make hoops. What diameter pipe is best?

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Blue water pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:39 »
If you have a Screwfix near you, this 50m roll of 25mm diameter pipe is pretty good value.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mdpe-blue-pipe-25mm-x-50m/19606

picman

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:19:06 »
Blue pipe is fine but a little flexible for large hoops, so you will need some internal support and cross braces, but well worth doing.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:43 »
Would the Wilkinsons  Value Hose Pipe work just as well, if it was pushed into lengths of bamboo cane  to stick into the ground, or would it not be rigid enough?  I like the price!

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 16:28:47 »
You can build these from 25mm pipe from Scewfix.

This will happen with 50mm pipe,

Rebuilt with props

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 16:58:17 »
Wow,Wow and Double WOW!!!  8) 8)
dimensions please.  I'm telling myself if I can follow a dress pattern I can make some of these.  ;D ;D
Any tips would be most appreciated. As in do's and don't.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 17:14:41 »
PIpelife blue pipe is cheaper by a few quid at Toolstation if you have one locally.... getting some this weekend to fix the polytunnel..... Wilkinsons value hose will not be stiff enough, blue pipe is pretty rigid, especially compared to hose...

chrisc

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 17:22:37 »
Hi taurus, The dimensions for the small ones is 7ft long, 2ft high and 3ft wide, made from tilers lathes screwed together as per photo. The net is just stapled to the lathe. You just have to work out the length the pipe has to be.
The large one is 15ft long, about 9ft wide by about 5ft8" high(Made it to fit the wife but I have to crouch a bit to get in). Old broom handles cut down water proofed and knocked into the ground at whatever distance you require. The pipe is worked out at what length again. All framework is tilers lathes again. The net will staple to the pipe and lathe. Due to the snow, a rethink was required and props were put in.

You can also make a greenhouse for less than £100 with lathes and monoflex(Bought from the same place as the net,Scaffold Direct.
Good luck with the building.

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 21:03:26 »
or, if you are completely clueless about DIY, you can go low-tech like this:

The pipes are all just over 3 m long which fits well with the natural curve of the pipe and with 4m wide netting.  I got a batch of ground spikes meant for rotary washing lines cheap from Tesco Clearance.  Spikes in the ground, pipes in spikes, a few cable ties to hold them where they cross, netting held down by a few bricks.  So easy to assemble and dismantle and move.  I got 14 hoops from a roll of waterpipe and so that gives me 2 10m cages or 3 to 4 smaller ones.  And they should last a long time.

If you have small mesh netting, the cages will collapse when it snows but with bird netting, the snow seemed to pass through.  Which may or may not be what you want ......

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 22:01:27 »
I love the look of these proper ones, but today I found some hose on the dumping ground  which is meant to be a plot but no-one has it, it has no fence, and is the area tip!  I thought I could give it a go, as I only want to use it for summer brassicas, so shouldn't have a problem with snow, although you never know!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:09:01 »
 Thanks, I think mine will look more like denbyvisitor's  :D Off to Screwfix this weekend.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:18 »
Tony bought some last week at Wickes for about £15-50 for 25m of 20m blue pipe. He went on Wednesday and used his diamond card( for the over 60s).We thought we would try it to see how it compared with wilkies arches.
Tony has still used the canes to hold it together and I have covered it with Ikea net curtain instead of the usual enviromesh. If it doesn't rot the we will stick with it at less than £2 a curtain.
If anyone is interested the curtain is named Lill
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:22:44 »
Tony bought some last week at Wickes for about £15-50 for 25m of 20m blue pipe. He went on Wednesday and used his diamond card( for the over 60s).We thought we would try it to see how it compared with wilkies arches.
Tony has still used the canes to hold it together and I have covered it with Ikea net curtain instead of the usual enviromesh. If it doesn't rot the we will stick with it at less than £2 a curtain.
If anyone is interested the curtain is named Lill

domestic net curtian is usually made of cotton, and will not survive the winter. It also has no strength to resist windy conditions and will rapidly turn into shreds in a good storm. The one time i tried it her was no useable net left by the next spring.  Thats why I use debris netting, its permanent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:24:29 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 09:26:18 »
^^ but if you buy the cheapo net curtains, they are nylon or polyester.  But they can tear in use.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 17:14:50 »
^^ but if you buy the cheapo net curtains, they are nylon or polyester.  But they can tear in use.

Either way its a false economy, better to grit your teeth and shell out £25 for a roll of debris netting that will last years.

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 18:08:27 »
Hi all,  :)

If you speak nicely to scaffolders you can get debris netting for free.
I also got long offcuts of blue pipe just by asking.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 20:26:47 »
I emailed a local scaffolding firm but never got a reply. :(

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 21:58:22 »
I have recently covered my strawberries with netting, supported by 700mm cycle wheel rims. Cut them where they are welded then straighten the two quarters next to the cut. You then have a U shaped hoop.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 22:24:02 »
I emailed a local scaffolding firm but never got a reply. :(

Can scaffolders work a computer?

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 22:39:49 »
I love the look of these proper ones, but today I found some hose on the dumping ground  which is meant to be a plot but no-one has it, it has no fence, and is the area tip!  I thought I could give it a go, as I only want to use it for summer brassicas, so shouldn't have a problem with snow, although you never know!

Well, I made my supports, and fixed the netting, weighing it down with bricks.  My sprouts look very happy, and so am I!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal