Author Topic: Blue water pipe  (Read 22658 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Re: Blue water pipe
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 22:49:45 »
That's a good idea, Larkshall.

I have my strawberry beds on a table like structure. A raised bed on legs. I had some plumbers pipe which I cut into about 1 foot pieces. Shoved them into the soil at about 3ft intervals on each side of the beds then I got some of the old plastic, swish type curtain rail, which bends easily, cut long enough lengths to make hoops and tucked each end into the pipes. covered with netting and put nails into the side of the bed structure to hook the netting on the keep it taught. I just unhook it to get to the strawberries. It withstood the snow this winter. I do love the structures in this thread.  One day I may talk someone in to helping me make them  IE OH!!!!!!!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 08:43:14 »
^^ but if you buy the cheapo net curtains, they are nylon or polyester.  But they can tear in use.

Either way its a false economy, better to grit your teeth and shell out £25 for a roll of debris netting that will last years.

The net curtains from IKEA are more like environmesh (as Shirlton mentions) and environmesh is very pricey.  Debris netting is tough and popular but it almost seems to hold the whitefly in making the whitefly problem even worse.  It also seems to cut out light.  At 4 quid a pair, the Ikea nets are worth a try IMO.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 09:11:07 »
Denby.... is right about the whitefly using debris net , I am trying the sticky yellow sheets, see if that works.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 15:28:26 »
One more question- what's the best thing for cutting the pipe?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 15:46:08 »
Ray uses a hand saw or a hack saw  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 19:36:14 »
Thanks. Think I'll cut the pipe and netting at home as it's so windy at the moment. Can't believe I've spent £70 on my allotment this week, I much prefer recycling, but hopefully it'll be worth it!

picman

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 19:44:08 »
This is my modified 'walk-in-wonderwall' after the snow crushed it last year, Brassicas seem to love it .

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 20:54:45 »
Wow! :o

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 22:18:09 »
amazingrotavator(derby) added that to my winter to do list :)

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 15:44:36 »
You need to look at nets and blue water pipe as a long term investment. The nets if they are good quality will last years and the pipe indefinitely. You need the 25mm from Screwfix as if you use canes to put it on the 20mm canes will NOT fit inside the pipe and the 25mm is only £3 more expensive. I have 5 nets and a strawberry bed under netting as I grow a lot of brassicas and suffer from Allium Leaf Liner and carrot fly. They have been a long term investment. My advice for what it is worth you need to but a barrier of plastic ( I use cut down  supermarket banners) under the edge of the netting approximately 8" wide otherwise the weeds will grow through the netting and make holes in it making it useless. I support my larger nets ( carrot and onion and garlic ) with a frame of canes to prevent movement by wind and snow. As I said it is not cheap but if you are in for the long time well worth while. There are people on my site who will not invest they have carrots infested with carrot fly and alliums infested with allium leaf mine. So in the long term protect or loose your crop.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:31 »
I have recently covered my strawberries with netting, supported by 700mm cycle wheel rims. Cut them where they are welded then straighten the two quarters next to the cut. You then have a U shaped hoop.

If we're talking about netting and fleece then old PVC curtain rails are adequate - there's probably some in your nearest skip.

BTW. bendy plastic tube can be stiffened by pushing old short canes in until it's full, the blue stuff doesn't need this for cloches but it helps for polytunnels (especially when you're setting them up - makes it much easier, and once it's built and braced the extra strength isn't needed and the canes can be allowed to rot away). Old hose is much too weak - that's best used for tying trees to stakes and as hinges on shed or polytunnel doors.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal