Author Topic: Garden Organic (HDRA) members experiments  (Read 2317 times)

pumkinlover

Garden Organic (HDRA) members experiments
« on: April 30, 2012, 18:53:51 »
Is anyone else doing these this year?

I am doing the outdoor tomatoes blight trial and the grow your own loaf trial.
Thought it would be nice to see if anyone else doing and swop notes.

martinburo

• Half Acre
Re: Garden Organic (HDRA) members experiments
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 21:20:31 »
Yes, and I'm doing the shark fin melon as well. I was late to send in the form, but all of them have come up now.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 18:11:58 »
I've only just joined Garden Organic so missed the dates to enter for the trials.  I got some shark fin melon seeds when they visited our local Eco House so i thought i'd also have a go at growing them but haven't got round to starting them yet.

I also joined the heritage seed library and i'm growing some Waldecks tomatoes.  I tasted these last year when one of my friends at my local Eco gardening forum brought some in for us to taste and they were really lovely....I hope mine are that good.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 18:17:01 »
Martinboro - when did you sow them? I did the wheat yesterday and the tom' s midddle of April. I had some Sharks' Fin squash seeds  from Seed Swop on here so I did not ask for them.
Kippers garden - It is the first time I have taken part although I have been a member for years. Your Eco House and forum sounds interesting.

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 23:09:02 »
I got and sowed them two weeks ago. Wheat outdoors, tomatoes and melon indoors next to the stove.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:43 »
Not doing them this year...  :-X

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 13:08:13 »
Put the tomatoes out yesterday- well except the ones I dropped so they lost the labels :-[

Wheat doing well :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 16:02:33 »
Put the tomatoes out yesterday- well except the ones I dropped so they lost the labels :-[
Oh dear, is there anyway to work out what is what once they produce fruit?

I'm not doing the trials either as I already had seeds. I think I'm growing the blight resistant toms and a couple of other blight resistant types too, fingers crossed with all the blight warnings.

I didn't get around to sowing any wheat or oats but hopefully they will keep till next year.
I'm afraid I wasn't wowed on the taste of shark fin melon, but they grow and produce really well.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 17:22:59 »
sorry if this in the wrong place, but wondered how much wheat you have to grow and what you would use it for?

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 18:23:31 »
I dropped the tray with all the plants in labelled with the code A, B, C and D.
There were plenty of seeds of each variety and still enough of each variety to do the experiment. I was amazed how quickly the seeds came up and all germinated- not like the ones we buy! ;) Four lost the labels but I am sure that I still have enough labelled to get results. Butter fingers!

The wheat experiment is to see if it is possible to grow wheat in a garden setting and uses  2 square metres, I know people grind their own flour but not sure if my muscles are good enough! ;D then seeing if can bake a loaf!
Looking forward to trying it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal