Author Topic: My new plot  (Read 2491 times)

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
My new plot
« on: May 16, 2011, 18:07:56 »
working on it every day to get it clean.

7.5 Rod.

Had a big fire too.

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
Re: My new plot
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 22:30:16 »
Good luck mate !  It looks like you will need it . One tip though mate LITTLE AND OFTEN .Atb Roy
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:39 »
looking good Ben Acre  :)

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:00 »
Little and often? lol thats all I can do I guess, just waiting for the weedkiller to work.

I checked out my plot on Google earth and in 2006 it looked grand. Been gathering old carpets and generally having a clear up, Good news my neighbouring plot has also been taken and is getting cleared.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 00:42:45 »
Little and often? lol thats all I can do I guess, just waiting for the weedkiller to work.

I checked out my plot on Google earth and in 2006 it looked grand. Been gathering old carpets and generally having a clear up, Good news my neighbouring plot has also been taken and is getting cleared.

be aware some people (including me) dont use old carpets to smother weeds, since its been shown they leech some very nasty chemicals into the soil as they rot. I use Silage Sheet, which doesnt degrade and so is reusable.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05:45 »
Hi Ben, got your work cut out there, much like myself my friend.

I've just acquired a double plot. I've got a few photo's of it on my new blog: Slim Jim's Allotment

Both my strimmer and my car packed up last night, and with the plot being in the village I'm from (rather than the village I live) I need the car to get there :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:02 »
Looks like you are getting stuck in to your new plot.  Old carpet is banned on many sites. 

It does not take long for the weeds to get going, but if it was good in 2006 the soil must be basically ok when you actually find it.

Welcome to A4A hightower.  Looks like you have plenty of supplies for nettle tea. 

Looks like both of you will be very busy.

Mind you the worse it is when you start the great the improvement.

hightower

• Not So New ...
    • Slim Jim's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:00 »
Welcome to A4A hightower.  Looks like you have plenty of supplies for nettle tea. 

Looks like both of you will be very busy.

Mind you the worse it is when you start the great the improvement.

I know! Last night it felt like I got so much achieved in such a short time period. The problem for me is it's a big old mess so I have to focus on doing one thing and then moving onto the next, and maybe in 2 or 3 years it will actually be to the standard I want it. The car is fixed now, and I have the fuel hose to fix the strimmer so "strimming: part deux" will be started tonight and hopefully I'll be weed killing by the weekend.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to keep an eye on my blog, as I plan to update it regularly with photo's etc.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 00:51:00 »
Best strategy is to smother it all, and uncover, dig weed, and recover if your not going to use it , doing manageable patches at a time.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal