Author Topic: Rhubarb nicked  (Read 2026 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Rhubarb nicked
« on: May 18, 2011, 15:47:53 »
went to plot after lunch and some tw** has stolen all my rhubarb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYTPqiq2r4
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 15:49:30 by jimtheworzel »

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
Re: Rhubarb nicked
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 15:56:48 »
That's awful, i see they left you the leafs!!!! :o

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 16:04:37 »
Both us and our neighbour had ours pinched last week
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 17:46:07 »
What is the answer to theft? I wish i could set up a national allotment association that raises money for all UK plots to be fenced, locked and made secure. I always thought the local council was supposed to put up fencing and secure fences but allotments are so low on their priorites.

I could start by getting a campaign together to lobby No10 for more allotment help and security.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 19:29:02 »
Our Uk lotties were fenced very high with barbs at the top, padlocked gate, and in front of the fence was about 6 feet of wild growth all round which no one eber removed.

We still had crops stolen, sheds burned and two greenhouses that were in the process of erection taken.

Luckily the greenhouse thief was caught as he had bent all the aluminum into smaller pieces and had it in a bike trailer, he was seen and the police were called. He had broken down the frames, chucked it over the fence then climbed over.

That man had some nerve, my point is that the high fences and locked gates still don't keep folks out if they are determined.

Here our plots are in a Heritage Park, completely open we leave tools out etc with no trouble. We have folks wandering round all the time looking at the gardens. We did have a non English speaking family lasy year who came with bags to harvest stuff but they thought community garden meant anyone could take the veggies, they were very apologetic when  they found out they were in error.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, it is simply not acceptable and I don't know what the answer is. I am curious to know if it is worse in differnt parts of the country..matybe a new thtread to ask might be interesting.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 19:51:52 »
Oh I wish our plots were fence doff like that. Is there not a pot nationally to improve allotments? Ours are so Heath Robinson even a baby could get in.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 19:56:48 »
Sadly the strong fences and gate locks (on our site )  serve only to allow one individual plotholder the opportunity to help himself to other folks produce-undisturbed  :(
sanity is overated

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:02:34 »
I know where you are coming from macmac
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:46:06 »
I would so annoyed if this happened to me.  I lost some carrots last year, and we had a couple of people going from plot to plot taking things.  I confronted one woman and told her not to come back and there was another who came onto the site saw me, swore and disappeared off.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:02:49 »
given the number pest and theft from allotment stories from UK i am surprised that you all harvest anything for yourselves.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:14 »
looking at the amount of rhubarb stolen from my allotment it was for re sale
what next my potatoes, onions?

jimtheworzel

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 17:27:38 »
I find this so sad & frustrating. My granddad has similar problems with his lottie. Last week he left some seedlings out ready to plant & next morning they'd gone. If it's not vandals trashing stuff, it's fellow plotholders nicking produce. Really annoying thing is that there's very little you can do about it short of sitting there all day & night with a big pointy stick.

Makes me really angry knowing all the work that goes into lottie plots.  >:(

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 18:20:45 »
sounds like someone on the plot is helping themselves. look like the only option a camera trap or trapping the offender. 

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 18:43:05 »
A sign saying.

You are being observed anyone stealing from this site will be identified and reported to the Police.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal