Author Topic: Allotment law  (Read 2958 times)

John Lund

Allotment law
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:25:42 »
Do parish councils still have the right of compulsory purchase ofland for allotment use?  Nearly 2 years ago I passed a request to our parish council to provide allotments, together with a list of 8 names of local parishioners wanting one.  They found a piece of land which a local farmer agreed to let to the council.  he has now withdrawn the offer.  Nearly 2 years down the line and we still have no allotments. 
I see that the Smallholdings and Allotments Acts 1907 paragraph 22 and  1908 paragraph 25(2) do give councils those powers.  Are these still in force or are there any amendments? Any advice would be appreciated

sallyann993

• Not So New ...
Re: Allotment law
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 21:46:16 »
contact www.theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk.org.uk they are far better than the national society,very honestly run,legal representation,seeds at 50% discount,insurance,everything you need to know about allotment law they can obtain for members and only charge £1 per year per plot,or individual membership  for £10. im sure if you contact them even as a none member they will do their very best to help you..good luck

John Lund

Re: Allotment law
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 14:48:50 »
Thanks for your help.  I tried the allotments and gardens council's website but there's no way of contacting them.  Does anyone have a 'phone no. or email please?  My parish council has now decided compulsory purchase is too expensive as they would have to pay for a public enquiry!!!  What's the point of a law that's unusable, except for something like another motorway or airport?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal