Author Topic: Adder in the compost  (Read 6871 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Adder in the compost
« on: May 16, 2011, 19:21:46 »
Everytime I open my compost bin there is an adder sitting there.  I suppose it likes the warmth.   

I am making sure I look very carefully before putting my hand in.  I had a grass snake last year but it was much much bigger and did not move very fast in fact it just stared at me and left in its own good time.  But the adder exits very swiftly.

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Adder in the compost
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 19:31:03 »
Catch it!
Three adders make a calculator!

"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 19:49:14 »
I dont think it would be an Adder It would be more likely to be a Grass Snake, does it have a yellow v behind the head? if so its a Grass Snake much more probable.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 20:09:07 »
I'd say its probably a slow-worm, as I think adders like to be out basking in the sun. Could be wrong though.. wouldnt put your hand in just to find out!

Is it greeny-beige with zig zag stripes or silvery grey with faint head to tail lines?

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 20:13:42 »
Adder is defo out . actually if it is always there it could be a slow worm

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 21:10:47 »
Does it look like one of these:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Vipera_berus

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 21:37:39 »
It is certainly not a grass snake and definitely not a slow worm.  Slow worms are slow fat things with a stumpy tail, grass snakes are huge.  It has the v sign on the back of the neck.  It is not in the sun it sits on the compost just under the lid.  Though does not have the colouring elsewhere on its tail.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 21:55:43 »
Its is a Grass Snake they are not huge they only grow to about 18 - 22" Only the Grass Snake has the V  mark so its a Grass Snake, totally the wrong habitat for an Adder.

BTW I am a Herpetologist ie Reptile and amphibian expert.

http://www.sarg.org.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 22:00:22 »
Had two grass snakes last year, this one is totally different much smaller, much quicket, much thinner. Different shaped head.  Perhaps someone has lost their pet snake.  Rather pleased it may not in fact be poisonous.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 22:10:42 »
I am also not sure about the wrong habitat, my lottie is very close to a nature reserve and when I say close my compost bin is about 1.5 metres from the fence.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 23:11:27 »
Question to Ben Acre
I have always understood that Adders are usually up to 24", relatively thick bodied and have a classic dark zig zag marking down the back and with a V shape on the head. They prefer basking in the sun but on heathland can be found underneath sheets of wood or metal because it is often very much warmer there. So this could be an adder but I would be surprised if it was. Grass snakes on the other hand are much longer and may reach 3-4'. They have a very distinctive yellow collar. Grass snakes will often lay eggs in compost heaps because the temperature is usually higher and ideal for egg incubation. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 17:11:40 »
Grass snakes grow a lot bigger than 22 inches, O Herpetologist, and I'm basing that on animals I've handled myself. Adders are smaller, as are slow worms. It does sound like the sort of place you'd see a slow worm, but then I've seen adders in odd places, so on the basis of the info we have, we can't tell.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 17:17:57 »
Lol we must have a dwarf form in Suffolk. I must admit I have rarely handled snakes as a smoker nicotine on my fingers can kill them. Thanks for the correction.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal