Author Topic: Another cold night Thursday  (Read 1928 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Another cold night Thursday
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:18 »
We have a forecast of only 4C on Thursday night, so looks like we will have a 'touch' of ground frost again.

I do hate that expression.  It does not just touch the plants it knocks them for six.

I also do not know why they publish the forecast figures for temperatures in Stevensons screen  I am sure my courgettes would be more than fine in a little white wooden box a metre off the ground!!!

We normally have few frost this time of year and we have had four recently.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Another cold night Thursday
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:00 »
In Belgium they talk about the Saints Glaces - ice saints - who have their feast days on the 13th, 14th and 15th of May.  After that it's supposedly safe to plant out tender plants.   

We've not had frosts this year but it has turned jolly cold compared to what we've had recently.  With highs of 28C Belgium has been the hottest country in Europe and drizabone too.   No proper rain here since mid March except for one decent downpour on the 27th of April.   
Obxx - Vendée France

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:23 »
In Belgium they talk about the Saints Glaces - ice saints - who have their feast days on the 13th, 14th and 15th of May.  After that it's supposedly safe to plant out tender plants.   

We've not had frosts this year but it has turned jolly cold compared to what we've had recently.  With highs of 28C Belgium has been the hottest country in Europe and drizabone too.   No proper rain here since mid March except for one decent downpour on the 27th of April.   

Same here in France, they have the Saints Glaces! I always ignore that though  ;D Some of the oldies swear by it.
Whereabouts are you? I am in Nantes, France. We had a few showers about 10 days ago, one Ok soaking but apart from that very little. I am having to hand water everything. And here it is usually pretty wet in the spring.  The farmers in the whole central and western regions are panicking. crops are parched, water restrictions are on, they say the wheat this year will be very poor.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 13:06:04 »
Looks like it will be fine in the South -  I have 8c for London. 10C on the coast..
This time last year though I got caught so you never know..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 16:44:37 »
Another heat wave coming after next weekend, lasting 2 weeks

This will be the hottest may for 350 years.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:40:50 »
Hello Antipodes.  I'm in the centre of Belgium near Gembloux in open, rolling countryside.   It's lovely but can get a bit parky in winter, especially these last 3 years.   We usually have a high rainfall but not this year.   

The land immediately around me is quite boggy in places with lots of streams and springs so not all the cereal crops are suffering yet but the farmers are worried about non germinating chicory and low yields on potatoes and sugar beet.  The flax is loving it.
Obxx - Vendée France

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:53 »
This frost keeps us on our toes, Just like Wimbledon and the cricket. The covers are now coming on due to poor weather conditions which wont allow those tenders to grow just yet.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal