Author Topic: alternatives  (Read 1560 times)

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
alternatives
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:25 »
Hi all i was wandering what i can use as an alternative to slug pellets i am new to the allotment thing and don't want to use chemicals if i can help it . all replies greatly received . Thanks Roy.
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

ripley

• Not So New ...
Re: alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 13:35:27 »
I read an article on slug deterants and it was found that bran is supposed to be good. You put it  around the plants and the slugs don,t like to move over it. They also eat it which is supposed to blow up their tummies!?

I got a huge bag of horse bran for seven pounds. The only problem I have found is the rain you then have to reapply. Too early to say if it worked or not!

Ripley

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 14:36:24 »
Well everything is made of chemicals   ;D  but there are a couple of approaches..

Nematodes - http://www.nemaslug.org.uk/ - not so good for snails though it does seem to help with slugs...does need to be reapplied every 6-8 weeks.
Use iron based slug pellets which are 'organic'... such as these - http://www.monrobrands.com/growingsuccess/resultdetail.php?brand=growingsuccess&keyword=ferric%20phosphate&category=Slug_Control&pageNum_Recordset1=0
Try beer traps in the ground...
Try various barrier methods - copper tape is said to work, bran as above, coffee grounds, crushed egg shells or nut shells, ash or soot, cloches.

Mind you I tried an experiment with coffee grounds as I have access to tonnes of the stuff and the snail crawled right over it!!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:27 »
Ordinary slug pellets are a simple intoxicant (similar to booze) that is 100% safe for you and your pets if you use them properly. Modern insecticides and herbicides can't say that.

There is some evidence of frogs and other predators getting sick from eating poisoned slugs but the evidence is shaky and definitely overstated (according to Gardening Which).

Apparently the 'organic' pellets based on Ferric Phosphate - a nice simple inorganic chemical (there's a paradox!) - work well and have no question marks over them (except price).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal