Author Topic: help with sweetcorn  (Read 6591 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: help with sweetcorn
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 13:08:21 »
Most usual coating is Thiram -pink stuff.  Fungicide.  Also can help repell things from eating seeds, not sure it does though.

I had a packet of incredible last year and had very poor germination, someone on site put in a row of them carefully marked with the packet and only got one. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 16:16:41 »
I also tried Incredible last year, didn't get bad germination, but not as good as Extra Tender & Sweet which I have reverted to again this year. I also just press my sweetcorn seeds into the soil in rootrainers, they are up in two days and grow away fast. I've just planted mine out this week.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 16:19:16 »
Thank you. I can stop wondering what he pink stuff is ::).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 20:34:13 »
The pink stuff is generally used on Supersweet varieties , it helps prevent rot if temps are down a bit or if the soil is too damp   and they are more likely to do so .

Bear in mind that many of the seeds you buy come from the US and there corn is more usually planted straight out into the grouind.

In the North and in the UK starting on pots is better, I start all mine in 4 ich pots, one seed to a pot, three weeks before they go outside, this fools the corn into thinking it has not been transplanted which is absolutely hates.  Lionger than three weeks and the corn will stop, even when planted out it will stay quiet for a while, it will eventually grow but most times planting new seed will pass them by as they are not hindered.

Corn hated three things.

Cold, wet and transplanting.

Don't soak, keep them warm and transplant within the time frame and you should not have any problems.

I think it is one of the easiest veggies to grow, as long as you give it what it demands. Complicating it brings problems.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 21:34:50 »

XX Jeannine

Oh and they must not be in pots or mudules more than three weeks after first tiny leaves appear, they stop growing if left in pots too long and can take weeks to pick up once in the ground. They hate to be transplanted so you have to fool them

I had your words in mind today as I tried to gently tease another  'Cherokee Trail of Tears' seedling from it's two-inch module.... But the blinkin' thing stuck like glue and ended up looking like a long dangly thing with roots almost straight by the time I'd got it out.....   

I tried to make up for it by planting it as gently as possible and I even went to the trouble of crossing the allotment field to get a watering-can full of ditch water to give it a good watering-in, but I fear the worst... The site is very exposed and the wind is pretty relentless, and compared to the usual 'Scarlet' runner beans they are not doing well at all...
They seem to want more warmth and less wind than the site provides, for now at least.
If I can find the money, I'll buy a couple of bales of straw to act as a windbreak.
I was so looking forward to passing these on too.... Ah well, maybe they'll perk up as summer gets here.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 21:38:34 »
Nigel have you ever watched the video by Craig in the US about his dense planting, if not I will find it for you, he transplants literally in seconds.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 21:57:48 »
No I haven't Jeannine. The problem was the two-inch modules... the really thin plastic ones... The roots were sticking to the stuff...
I'll know next time. :)

I have had mixed success with all my sweetcorn this year so far.  I planted some out a few weeks ago directly into the soil but I haven't seen a single one of those. Two other types I sowed in the  unheated greenhouse have seen very different germination rates too. One lot almost all came up, while the other was a waste of time and compost.

There's still time.... As soon as I can afford another pack I'll try again. Originally, I wanted to inter-plant the corn with peas and sunflowers to create shade and, more importantly, a bit of a wind-break.

Try, try, try..... :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 22:04:34 »
Ok, I have nevr done this before soi fingers crossed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYgX3y5ptQ

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 22:06:12 »
Ok, I did it  !!. The first one is planting the seeds which is followed by transplanting.. you must watch the second oen trust me XX Jeannine

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 22:15:26 »
When i plant out my sweetcorn, I cover them with a cloche to give them some protection from cold nights and cold winds.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 22:42:47 »
Thanks Jeannine for that tube clip ....very interesting to see. I will be using Craigs method to sow my seedlings next year. I think I would have to label each cell as I am not as organized as Craig :P

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 00:31:05 »
He also has an excellent blog by the way.

XX Jeannine

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 07:37:31 »
Thank you Jeannine. I found it very interesting & will use the same method. I might try it today as I have lots more to sow ::). I found some large module trays & they will be ideal.

pumkinlover

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:49 »
Well the video was very interesting!!
Gardeners world presentors past and present would be shaken to the roots! by the transplanting video.

We noticed how fine the  compost was,  with some of the lumpier ones we get to use it would not be that good.

I'll definatly try the tight seedling method esp. early in the season when trying to grow under lights.

Thanks for the posting Jeannine- you did well :D :D :D another trick learned ;)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:00 »
thanks for the link Jeannine  8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 18:50:34 »
Do you think I should put this link on it's own thread, iut is a bit buried in this one  XX Jeannine

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 19:38:33 »
I think that would be a good idea Jeannine ;D.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 23:04:16 »
I agree ....good idea :)

I can't wait to use my thumb to shove in some seedlings as an experiment ;D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal