Author Topic: New Here - Strawberry question  (Read 1060 times)

DoubleH

New Here - Strawberry question
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:56 »
Hi There everyone, Have been looking at this forum for sometime now learning lots of useful things. However I now have my own question so decided to join what I find to be the best allotment forum on the web.

Anyway, to my question. I have a number of Strawberry plants in pots on my patio which are doing well and producing strawberries however lately I have noticed what looks like can only be decribed as spit on my plants. Anyone have any idea of what this is and if it will affect the plants.

Look forward to your replies
DoubleH

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: New Here - Strawberry question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:09 »
If you rub the 'spit' off, you will find a little green bug inside. It lives inside its own spit bubble, and I don't think it does much damage to the plants but doesn't look nice. I wash any I see off with a strong jet of water or you can squish them if feeling cruel!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

DoubleH

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:35:31 »
Thanks Deb, I shall try that tonight.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:47:56 »
they're Froghoppers!  :)

tog

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:46 »
Hi There everyone, Have been looking at this forum for sometime now learning lots of useful things. However I now have my own question so decided to join what I find to be the best allotment forum on the web.

Anyway, to my question. I have a number of Strawberry plants in pots on my patio which are doing well and producing strawberries however lately I have noticed what looks like can only be decribed as spit on my plants. Anyone have any idea of what this is and if it will affect the plants.

Look forward to your replies
DoubleH
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper
The froth serves a number of purposes. It hides the nymph from the view of predators and parasites, it insulates against heat and cold, thus providing thermal control and also moisture control. Without the froth the bug would quickly dry up. The nymphs pierce plants and suck sap causing damage, and much of the excess filtered fluids go into the production of the froth, which has an acrid taste, deterring predators.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:41:26 »
My family have always called it 'cuckoo spit' for some reason! I like the little creatures inside.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 18:31:17 »
I still tend to think of them as 'cuckoo spit insects' though I do know what they really are.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal