Author Topic: over use of slug pellets  (Read 6754 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: over use of slug pellets
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 10:09:20 »
there we are  ;D

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this as I tried (a couple of years ago) a sheep wool mix that was meat to stop snails and slugs, on tender plants in the garden - and it didn't stop a thing! Maybe this stuff will be better

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:22 »
I am guilty of using slug pellets, but after reading this I will try not to use them. Am saving egg shells, but we don't eat that many eggs. I suppose I could put gravel or cardboard circles round the young plants as something is certainly eating my cauliflowers, cabbages etc.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:28 »
One of the plotholders here hasused masses as per you pic.  I wonder if they will notice that they do not have any slugs so they are totally unnecessary.  Pigs are them.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 21:44:45 »
Obbelix said:
I saw some advice from a hosta nurserywoman on GW once.  She said to scatter the wildlife friendly pellets thinly around vulnerable palnts on Feb 14th - cos it's an easy date to rmember - and that gets them as they emerge from winter hibernation and before they have a chance to breed.  Light applications every two weeks then deal with newly hatched slugs and any late risers.   She reckons that by mid to late April the hostas are big enough to fend for themselves.

Thanks for this tip. I had noticed that slug and snail infestation comes in waves and hadn't really realised it was the life cycle.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal