Author Topic: White and brown eggs?  (Read 2485 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
White and brown eggs?
« on: May 12, 2011, 20:43:37 »
Just curious and thought you hen keepers might know...why do all the eggs you buy these days seem to be brown? Where have all the white eggs gone? Is it fashion? Is it something the hens eat?

???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: White and brown eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 20:49:15 »
It's theb breeds they use.

Fashion seems to want brown eggs so I guess they use brown layers.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 20:59:33 »
I think there is still the old 'myth' going on ...lot of people believe that brown eggs are more healthier than white ::)  So brown will sell better thus majority of the commercial chickens are that sort of breed.
When I came in UK 'some' years ago....I've never even seen brown egg before. In Finland majority of the eggs in shops are still white..Its 'funny to see white eggs again when I visit my mother once a year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 21:33:26 by goodlife »

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 21:21:04 »
I'm sure brown eggs were more expensive them white eggs in years gone by.

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 22:59:07 »
I suppose its all psychological, as brown eggs to me says 'farmyard free range' ! and when I bought eggs I would always have got brown ones!
You always love your children more than they love you...

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:22 »
The cheaper eggs seem to be just available in small, the large ones being sold for a grossly inflated price.
This is a pain when a recipe calls for 3 medium eggs and 3 small ones just makes the cake mixture too dry.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:27 »
when I was growing up people would look in a box to pick the one with mostly brown eggs so the producers moved over to brown eggs only, yes I think Lillian is right in that brown were more expensive.

From my poultry mag. I think it is a british thing. Probably a bit like the "Emporers new clothes"! :D

I hope one day to get the range of breeds that would let me get a box of white, blue/green and brown eggs! :)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 21:01:28 »
The cheaper eggs seem to be just available in small, the large ones being sold for a grossly inflated price.
This is a pain when a recipe calls for 3 medium eggs and 3 small ones just makes the cake mixture too dry.

You can get it right by weighing the eggs, same weight of egg to the weight of flour, butter, sugar . a medium size should weigh 2oz in the shell. sorry don't know the metric equivalent

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 17:55:23 »
I've noticed the reverse when in the States, their eggs were all white.... and they drove on the wrong side of the road  ;)

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:57:51 »

I hope one day to get the range of breeds that would let me get a box of white, blue/green and brown eggs! :)

I was very pleased with myself when I had that: 2 x columbines (blue-green egg +pinky-brown egg), 1 x columbian blacktail (brown) and 1 x white star (lovely porcelain white). Sadly the columbine that laid the blue eggs died this year so the egg box is much less pretty now.  :( :( :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal