Author Topic: Favourite poultry info sites  (Read 3404 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Favourite poultry info sites
« on: May 12, 2011, 14:12:34 »
Well..I better get started as I mentioned it in other post...first one.. ;)
Feel free to add on this post when you find something...

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Favourite poultry info sites
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 17:55:51 »
I subscribe to Practical Poultry magazine and they have a lively forum here http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 20:03:22 »
some remedies..BUT BE SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE USING THEM FOR!!!!!
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

goodlife

• Hectare

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 20:39:41 »
'usual' problems and some remedies..
http://www.urbanchicken.org.uk/index.php/Health

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 20:46:21 »
Just for drooling over the various chicken breeds available

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

There is a discussion on our gardens right now as to wether to make a community chicken area.. my chicks would probably come from here, This is where we used to get them before.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 21:11:34 »

Code: [Select]
wether to make a community chicken areaYes..I was drooling too.. ;D My girls are getting on a bit now..they will still have couple of years of service ahead..I hope...but I don't think I could manage without them now. I get so much out of them ..and one of best/most usefull thing that I can have in lottie is they poo...no need for weedy horse stuff.. ;)
It would be interesting to know how your community chicken are will work out.. ;)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 21:06:39 »
Few poisonous plants..
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/php/plants.php?action=display&ispecies=poultry

surprised at this in the list of poisonous plants

Brassica spp,   Rape, Cabbage, Turnips, Broccoli, Mustard   cattle, humans, swine, sheep, goats, poultry   roots, seeds   glucosinolates, brassica, anemia factor

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 23:39:20 »
I have read on various chicken forums that chickens love raisins. This is bad advice as raisins are toxic to cats, dogs and chickens. I clarified this on my chicken keeping course ran by a vet nurse who said rasins should never be given to chickens.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 23:49:28 »
Yes..brassicas are on list..but its only a seeds and roots.I was suprised about it too, but I suspect it is more of the case of quantity..who would give them belly full of brassica seeds? My girls are not even interested of the roots..other than loosening any soil around them and looking for any worms amongst them.
Hmm...I knew about the raisins and dogs..but chickens..I'll have to have a look for that info...

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:42 »
Another thing I was told on the course which I found interesting is that too much spinach can be fatal as it (if I remember this properly is acidic). Aparantly a man who had an allotment used to feed his chickens large amounts of the stuff and his chickens kept dying. Lots of tests were done and the result came back poisoning by too much spinach. A little is fine but they were having huge amounts of the stuff. Its strange when you hear of something being poisoness when your pet has never been affected by it. Years ago our outdoor cat Fluffy used to like sleeping on my bed of lillies. Darren would buy me Lillies every week and Fluffy would brush past them on the window ledge and sometimes even drink the water from the vase. Well now I know they are deadly to cats and wont have a lily in the house or in the garden as even brushing against the pollen can be enough. I guess I was just lucky.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:59:22 »
There is loads and loads of poisonous plants for chickens..some garden variety, some 'wild.
The 'acid' you mentioned in spinach is ocalic acid..found large quantities in rhubarb leaves.
But nope,, cannot find nothing about raisins being poisonous for chickens... ??? It is recommended food for wildbirds so I'm bit suprised if it would be 'no go' area for chickens.. ???

goodlife

• Hectare

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 11:22:11 »
I have some for get me not seedlings in amongst some weeds. Do I need to weedle them out before I give weeds to the girls?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 12:24:28 »
You have read the info better than I have.. ;)..I never noticed the forget me not..
Absolutely no idea...sorry..my sponge brain cannot provide this time.. :-\..BUT..what I can say is that I've got them growing all over and surely lot of that has ended up in chicken pen amongst other 'poisonous' plants.. ::)
I'm not worried...I think lot of the plants would be poisonous in large quantities..but odd nibble of this and that doesn't kill.. ;)

Another good all round info site..
http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/index.htm

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:29 »
Sorry, being lazy. I only glanced at it. I just wondered about the FMNs. Do you think mother might advise against them in her bossy cluck. She is after all 'the boss'. I just wish she would tell her children to lay eggs ;D ;D ::).

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 14:32:40 »
Hi Goodlife, I must admit I was a bit surprised when the chicken lady told me about raisins as hubby's friend had told him that his brother a chicken keeper gave his hens raisins. I will ask the question again in a couple of weeks when I go to pick up my Skylines from her. Thanks for posting all the great links as its really helpful. :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 20:44:46 »
I do admit that mine have had some raisins in winter and eaten them with good appetite.. ::)
But it is not handfuls..just few teasing bits mixed in they food..and I've given them grapes too..should be same thing.. ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal