Author Topic: Problems with Giant Pumpkin Growing  (Read 4160 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Problems with Giant Pumpkin Growing
« on: May 11, 2011, 13:55:43 »
For anyone else that may be experiencing the same.......

I checked on my plant yesterday which has been planted out in a hoop house since last Saturday and I noticed that the main leaf has received some damage.  The edges are slightly singed and white.

From speaking with an exprerienced grower he informed me that it us most likely the UV light that is damaging the leaves and that it most affects young growth.

I have covered the hoop house with a single sheet of scaffold fabric to protect future growth from damage without blocking out too much light.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: Problems with Giant Pumpkin Growing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 11:03:13 »
It worked a treat.  No more damaged leaves

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 14:47:54 »
glad it worked out ok for you  dave thomas is a top bloke always willing to help as are all the big guns good luck this season regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 13:49:33 »
I attempted to bring one on indoors under lights, just out of interest, but the lights proved too strong and scorched it just as you described but to a much greater extent.
It seems they like a gentle start, unlike a lot of plants.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 17:29:09 »
Seems that this post will be a regular for me as my vine is growing vertically and is showing no signs of wanting to lie down.  Will get some hoops in tomorrow for when and if, it decides it wants to lie down.

See the picture: http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=157844

I am only growing one plant so please dont snap  :-\

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 14:32:00 »
looking at the plant it seems healthy however it looks pretty dark in the hoop and maybe just maybe the plant is still stretching for the light  instead of vineing out
in this good weather get the hoop off completely during the day it should soon lay down  dont push it  or you will snap it  just support the main vine from the wind  dont worry to much about the hot weather as long as its not covered these things grow in high temps no problem  all the best mal

ps this is not my advice its advice i have recieved myself
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 18:13:25 »
Agree with Mal. It WILL lay down on it`s own but I would support it on the way down. It might break if it`s carrying it`s full weight so I would be careful.
Just a question of patience I`m afraid.

Pete

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:21:58 »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Turns out it is working its way down by itself and I have some canes under for support.

I'll remove the top during the day. 

1. Would you advise keeping the cover on at night until it out grows the tunnel?

Looking ahead, I am slowly clearing the weeds on the ground that the vine will grow over.  I am hoeing everywhere but intend to dig and manureand will be manuring only the areas where the vines will lie. 

2. Would it be more practical to dig/manure the whole patch due to the sheer number of vines and secondary root spread? 

3. Also do you mound/bury the vines just at the leaf nodes (once the secondary vines have come out) or do you mound/bury as much of the vine as possible and would bonemeal be a good additive?

Thanks and good luck.

following your diary Mal, using yours as a benchmark  ;)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 15:12:31 »
glad it seems to be sorting itself out now

i personaly would keep the cover on at night as long as possible

its more practical to manure in the backend of the year and till it in good i would be careful adding manure to the vine area unless its really well rotted  when the plant is in the ground it may burn the roots if to new

i personaly bury the whole of the main vine as im on quite a windy site and it secures the vine better i add a little mycorrihzae at each leaf node when buring the vines on both the main and secondaries dont bury to early  i wait until i can see the secondaries growing well 

compaction is a major problem i have some times as i tend to wander all over the patch  ( i get lazy!!) get into the habit of putting walk boards down and use them
this season im tilling ahead of the plant not getting to close to is so i dont damage the fragile root system
hope this helps people a little

ps im no expert by any means this is just the way i do things  regards mal

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:55 »

compaction is a major problem i have some times as i tend to wander all over the patch  ( i get lazy!!) .....   

Same here, I have more than one way to get to anypart of my plot as I have so many paths and yet I rarely use them.   

Thanks Mal

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal