Author Topic: ill hen - advice please  (Read 3257 times)

becs

• Quarter Acre
ill hen - advice please
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:23:26 »
Hi, I have a cream legbar in my small flock who is not well. .

She is about 27-30 weeks old, we had her in February at about 15 weeks. She has been laying but stopped laying 3 weeks ago. The flock are wormed regularly and were last wormed 1.5 weeks ago.

Up until yesterday the only signs were no eggs and a slightly droopy tail. Normal poos from all hens, all eating and drinking. They are kept in a fixed run so no free ranging but pellets and fresh water on offer along with fresh greens (added each morning). They have been checked for red mite and lice - no signs seen (I have checked several times just in case!).

Today however, she has a green dirty bum and I can see signs of watery green liquid poo. Her comb is pale. She is just sitting down, not wanting to eat or drink. I have had to bring her home with me (they live on the allotment) as the others were pecking and bullying (as I understand they do with poorly flockmates) and she is just sat in a box in the garage (with food and water).  She still tries to get away when I pick her up (typical flighty cream legbar!) but easily gives up and lets me hold her - very unusual for her.

Any thoughts as to what it might be and how I need to treat her? Any advice much appreciated!

Bec

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: ill hen - advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:42 »
When you say "watery green poo"..can you see remnants of green plant matter in it?..or green as just colour?
Does she feel light and bony?
The reason I'm asking is that if she's been bullied and not been getting her food just greens..it could be that she is just weak and under nourished. Once they get so far with their 'being unwell' they don't want to eat even it would be best thing for them.. ::)
Feel her crop..the 'sack' on front of her chest..anything in there?..doest it make 'sloshing' noise?
I've just lost a chicken for being greedy for greens and not proper food..her crop went sour..it was quite large, soft and you could feel liquid in it.
If your don't have this proplem..make some sugar water..(normal white sugar mixed with hot water and cool it)..and force some down to her troat..just couple of tsp..but syringe or pipette is ideal way to deliver it.
If she is just under weather because is under nourished, you will see the sugar taking effect quite quickly..she will look bit more livelier and maybe get interested of food..but keep her off from green for while..you could even mix some of the sugar water on her drinker for a day..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:55:08 by goodlife »

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:50:58 »
Thank you for your reply.

Have just checked - her crop feels fairly empty but slightly hard. She is very light (but always has been in comparison to the others).

She did peck at a couple of pellets while I was there. I have seen her eating the pellets prior to today and thinking about it, when I do put greens in, my oldest hen always chases her away. Since introducing these 3 in Feb, I have made sure that there were 2 food containers of pellets incase of any bullying.

I will nip out and get a small syringe and try the sugar water.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:02:38 »
Just a little tip when tempting to force 'feed' her with syringe..it is a bit tricky thing to do... ;D ;D
Be prepared to get messy..
Sit down and put her on your lap fimly..half of her body tucked under your arm so she cannot struggle too much.
Wedge you fingers bitween her beak from both side of the head..her head should fit in the hand so she is 'blinded'.  While her beak is open 'shove' the syringe in the opening and squirt the liquid in.... ;D..quickly... ;D
For first few time she propably splashes it all on you.. ;D
Maybe you will be lucky..one of my chickens once learn to like drinking from end of the syringe..all I had to do was just point to end of her beak and is keenly started to drink when I squirted it out..but it was only that one chicken that learned the trick... ::)
Good luck..keep us posted of the devepment..maybe I can come up some other 'first aid'  thing that help if that is not the trick..

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 13:09:33 »
Thanks for the tip - I put her between my knees (in the hope any mess would be on the floor!) followed your instructions and just squirted it in - she took it fine (beginners luck!).

I spoke to the lady I got her from and at first she thought peritonitis - but there is no swelling of her belly.. she suggested trying some cat or dog food (which I have and she has eaten some of it) but doesn't think that the hen will survive - she said that from the comb going pale, the hen's body maybe shutting down.

I'll keep up with the tlc and if I have to make the decision to cull then I will, I don't want her to suffer (now to read up on "humanely dispatching a hen"). I'll let you know how we get on xx

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 13:17:58 »
Once they stop eating it is sometimes hard to get them started again

Try tempting her with a few live mealworms (pet shop or online).  Also hard boiled egg mashed up with chickweed and coarse oatmeal can be a tempter. 

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 13:46:48 »
The paleness of the comb can be indicator of ill health..but I've never heard 'the shutting down' theory.. :-\
For example, when hens come off laying and start moult, they combs go pale and turn bright red again when laying time is starting again.
Another usual reason for pale combs is anemia..loss of condition and blood, often associated with mites or other injury.
Extra protein is good idea..but only after she's started eating properly. If you are going to buy some, stick to loaf style food..no gravy or gelly....OR....you can get some 'complete' dog bisquits (with no poultry) and soak them in boiled water to soften them up..that will usually go down well and you are not left with opened tin for days. Biscuits are easy to do just the amount she is going to need at the time.
Mine gets 'lamb with rice' biscuits couple of times a week.... ;)

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 13:55:03 »
Just wondered if she could have been egg-bound, or sometimes they get an egg stuck which can break inside. Is the poo green, or could it be stale egg? If so there could be shell fragments still inside. Not sure if this helps, just my thoughts based on past problems with my various hens.

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:42 »
Thanks for all your advice. Sadly she died this morning, my young son will be upset as he only had her in February.

Does anyone know of a course or a book that will help with dealing with ill hens? This is the one area when I feel a bit out of depth(!)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 13:29:33 »
I'm afraid that sort of info is 'far and apart' ..haven't come across myself. If you read poultry magazines regularly, every now and then you come across some advise for different things. Most advise is more preventative rather than being 'nurse'..
All the years I've had chickens mine have had odd problem but mainly similar things..I always get my girls from same source now so I put that down to being lucky not seen any major desease. I've picked lot of my 'tricks' from breeder friend who is best pals with a vet.. ;) But saying that..even vet advise is not often reliable..they have to be knowledgeable with poultry.
Most poultry books usually just list just usual problems and symptoms associated with poultry and some give even advise with medicines for them..but those are usually prescription only drugs and don't come cheap if your girl needs trip to vet.
Some American websites do give advise for many things..but it comes down to reliability and you need to have quite a bit knowledge to start with to filter good info from bad.
Personally I find our poultry magazines best..I cannot remember at the moment which one was it but one of them have vet advisory pages for poultry troubles..
Unfortunateloy I lost all of my 'favorites' sites when old puter went down..but I'll start collecting them again..maybe posting them here would be good idea.. ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 13:38:23 »
We buy Practical Poultry magazine and there are courses advertised in there.
The best book we  have found is "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow.

Sorry about your chicken :(
Anne

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal