Author Topic: Brassica cuttings  (Read 28427 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Brassica cuttings
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:24 »
I've now got a couple of large variegated Daubenton's plants, which are just beginning to branch. I'm not expecting to get anything big enough for a respectable cutting this year, but I should have some in the spring.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 22:13:49 »
That is great news Robert.

Just touching base here..the kale seeds I promised to share still haven't arrived but I am now told they have been shipped so I have not forgotten you, I will send to Goodlife who will share with Robert.

Re the Daubentons.. well, mentioning no names but she can if she is OK with that. I don't want her to be flooded with requests  so............

A very kind poster has sent two lots of cuttings over, the first ones were toast, the second pair. I thought one stood a chance and the other was toast..but the first  one is definitely growing as of just today I feel confident about it, and the toast one which was just a stick has started to put out a leaf so string to feel excited about that one too.. Hurrah!!

So thank you a million times over..

Now the funny bit.. if anyone remembers my birthday I mentioned on the site John had arrange d something but wouldn't tell me what.. well now I know.

Yesterday a parcel arrived and inside where the remains of 6 Chou Daubentons.. he had been in touch with my son in Holland. They bought the plants on line in France, had them shipped to Holland and my son then shipped them here, they have been in the mail two weeks at least.

So, three are totally shrivelled, the other three have tried to grow and are  stretched and blanched, one is much smaller and looks as if it has had it but two look alive but white almost, all the leaves have gone but there are tiny white buds along the stems. They were in 4 inch pots and have fairly good thick stems.

Any ideas for rescue remedies..

Some are supposed to be variegated and some green but I can't tell which are which

What are my chances do you think..right now the cuttings from the UK look better so all m y hopes are on those.

I guess the guys meant well as John knew how hard I wanted them but I dare not think of the cost..neither of them are gardeners so no one thought to open them in Holland for a breather..

Funniest birthday surprise (shock) I ever had!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 22:16:16 »
That's so sweet :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 13:47:25 »
Jeannine...don't be in hurry to chuck out the 'lost' cases. I've had few that has sprouted from below the soil level even if the tops have looked like they've totally died down...and keep them in cooler environment, perharps outdoors in shelter. I've noticed that all brassica cuttings take better in cooler temperature than in warm GH or house.
Let's hope that your cuttings make it this time....
I've got some cuttings still rooting..but those will be last ones for this year before the winter sets in.
Ahhh...Sweet indeed..Your hubby has had 'radar' on for your pressie..well though.
The colours of different varieties come more clear when they grow bigger and are outdoors.
Well...let's hold breath and keep fingers crossed for your well travelled kales..and back up plan is rooting as I type.. ;)
Hmm..had another thought..if none of those should not grow..we could still try hardwood cuttings.
I was sent one that was just 'stick' with hardly any foliage on..and it did root..eventually..I wonder if that would 'travel' better.. :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 18:56:04 »
Goodlife. morning bulletin..

Variegated baby  is picking up in leaps and bounds, it is now just staring to show a third new leaf

Stick babies plain green  small leaf is very tiny but healthy and today there is the start of another leaf from the same spot, growing off the side of the stick, so I am confident that both of these are going to make it now barring accidents..

French juveniles..three seem to be turning from off white to pale green, very odd looking but they are trying hard.. three others are shrivelled but I have still kept them as the stem has not  quite shrivelled right to soil level, but I would be amazed if they bounce back

The odd thing about these is, the box had three plants laid on there side, then a polystrene pack then the other three on top but only three had stickers on, variegated and plain, so I think in my haste to get them out of the box I didn't notice which came from where and I think they stickered only one layer, however two with stickers seem toast so it may mean that the bigger ones have some of each. There was a hole in the side of the box and I wonder if it let a bit of light in to the layer closest to it and that is why some toasted and some tried to grow,bit of air too.

Anyway, I am very happy with the cuttings from the UK..I think we have cracked it!!

Oh the pressure though, they are in there fighting for life and I am struggling with stress..and they are cabbages for goodness sake.. I think my cheese has slipped off my cracker  for sure now!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2011, 17:49:37 »
Don't worry, if you're stuck there should be more cuttings next year! Meanwhile they seem pretty tough, and they're perennial after all.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 18:41:21 »
My French juveniles look very odd, they are bent at right angles, I guess fron trying to grow in the box, but then the full length of the stem which is about 10 inches long are buds, rather like brussell sprouts when they first show but the buds are pointed, they are not growing but are turning from white to green, definately changing each day..the buds are the full length of the stem every 1/2 inch or so and all round the stem too..does that sound right?

The three samaller ones are toast.

The two Uk ones are coming on fine.

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 18:42:56 »
That sounds like a brassica that's lost it's leaves, and is sprouting again from buds in the leaf axils.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 18:46:14 »
Jeannine those 'pointed' thingies don't sound right.. ???
Do they look like flower stems?
If there is any leaves to support the growth..I would take the 'pointy' things off once you know that they are flower heads.
Any chance of photo of them?
Ohhh...I'm glad we've finally 'cracked' it..are the survivors both same sort of did you manage to revive one of each?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 18:46:51 »
Oh wonderful, then these three are surely going to be OK...yeahh..

Do you know if the three toast ones are likely to shoot from the stems too, the stalk has not totally shrivelled but they were clearly smaller plants than the other three anyway.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 18:50:40 »
Code: [Select]
Do you know if the three toast ones are likely to shoot from the stems tooIt is possible that they do..You would see tiny 'pin head' poking out of the old leaf 'scar' first..That will develop into new shoot.

dalancarter

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2012, 21:37:44 »
If you look at the base of a Daubenton's branch, you'll see lots of little knobbles which are incipient roots. You also get them at the nodes a way up the stem. If you put them in water they root out within about a week. I've got a very happy, well-branched Daubenton's that I would be happy to send people cuttings from, particularly as a swap for other perennial kale varieties.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2012, 23:23:50 »
I have been fascinated by the talk about Daubenton and other perennial kales and would love a cutting of one from the people pioneering the propagation of them but I don't know yet what I could offer in exchange. At some point I will have to list what (borderline only!) exotics I have in case someone thinks them worthy of a swap.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 13:42:03 »
I just dug this old post 'out' and though that it would be interesting to hear what is going on in the perennial kale world.
My Russian red kale finally did knackered itself but it did manage to produce some leaves and flowers for good two years...propably longer if I would have given it more care and attention..but with the funny weather and all that, I didn't have enough motivation left for pampering.
My Daubenton's are still going strong..they've been attacked this winter with pigeons quite badly but don't seem to coming any harm as such. There is new growth coming on and actually pigeons did a favour for me.. :icon_cheers:..saved me a job of stripping all old leaves off.
Last year I sowed some Asturian tree cabbage..and its been winter survivor  :icon_cheers: I'm going to have little 'play' with it and going to do some cuttings from it near future and see if they are keen to produce flowers or if they have potential for being another leafy crop for this year. One doesn't know if one doesn't try..
How's Daubenton from HSL seeds coming on for those who grew it?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2013, 20:01:13 »
Hi Goodlife, mine from HSL is doing fine , well I think it is, it has survived the winter well and had nice green leaves all growing from a central stem though so I am not sure how I take cuttings. We have not picked any, they were too precious to eat and I wanted to get them off to a good chance. I have about 12 plants growing now.

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 20:03:15 »
My Daubenton's has sailed through, pigeons and all. I might put some Asturian in this year, along with Ragged Jack and one or two others which I've yet to decide on.

Jeannine, it should grow long branches which you can break off for cuttings. If it hasn't done so yet, give it time.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 20:05:56 »
Thanks Robert, I will be patient, so far it has leaves much like a brussel sprout plant, but just leaves from the sides  not branches. I also have some of Ruuds  one at about the same stage, Eewig  Moes ( or something like that)

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 20:09:33 »
It's quite a big plant once it gets moving. You'll probably have masses by midsummer.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2013, 03:58:05 »
Thanks Robert, I wasn't sure whether to pull leaves and use them last year but decided against it, is is quite tall about the same size as my Brussell sprouts and I have no idea how big it gets.

XX Jeannine

dilewis

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2013, 07:59:04 »
anybody round stoke got any of this kale cuttings i can beg orbuy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal