Author Topic: Late tomatoes  (Read 4395 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Late tomatoes
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:43 »
Hi all, I was thinking to plant some late tomatoes to grow in unheated greenhouse, after the early planted ones have finished. Has anyone tried this, if you have what where the results? :wave:
Paul

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Late tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:42 »
I usually find the cordon tomatoes I grow in the greenhouse or polytunnel crop right up to the end of the summer growing season, most often the first frost puts paid to any remaining fruits. Are you growing determinate/bush type tomatoes as they are finishing early?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 20:25:39 »
Hi jayb, I'm growing gardeners delight, marmande and Czech bush. :wave:
Paul

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:01:51 »
Nice selection, those three varieties will be able to keep going for the season and keep you in tomatoes  :happy7:
I think it is normal to only grow one crop of tomatoes a year in the UK, although you can try and steal a little on the season by starting a couple off earlier and grow them on inside the house so you can get tomatoes towards the end of May to June. Though it does take up space and they need good light as well as warmth. Have you planted yours in the greenhouse?

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 13:09:14 »
I don't know how anyone chooses just one variety when there are so many that sound amazing!

I have 11 this year, if I remember correctly. In a 6'x8' greenhouse. I'm just indecisive. ;)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 15:14:49 »
I don't know how anyone chooses just one variety when there are so many that sound amazing!

I have 11 this year, if I remember correctly. In a 6'x8' greenhouse. I'm just indecisive. ;)
me neither not too sure how many variety's I'm growing think its around 15 but people give me more plants i cant say no
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 18:06:43 »
What I have done, with varying degrees of success, is to plant out the side shoots I pinch out.  If you let them develop a bit so they are a few inches long they will root very easily and quickly.  They can then be grown on to give you a few toms a bit later on - esp if you have a decent greenhouse.  I only have a small poly tunnel but I have got toms later than I otherwise might.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 19:36:53 »
I tend to go a different route because I have the space and I just grow more than I usually need so I tray up the green tomatoes and place them in a dark cupboard.

Most years I find this keeps me going with fresh tomatoes up until Christmas.

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 20:48:04 »
Hi jayb, the gardeners delight and marmande are in my unheated greenhouse and the Czech bush will go outside, if the weather ever warms up!  :sunny:
Paul

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:17 »
Yes, like TeeGee said.  This works very well with cherry tomatoes and especially with the smaller green-when-ripe and so-called black (red brown) tomatoes.  They keep their flavour better than red tomatoes. But tomato flavour is very individual and different on different soils too.   Beefsteak tomatoes don't store well for me at all.

There are keeping tomatoes especially bred for the purpose.  One variety is Long Keeper (which is actually a large red variety) and Yellow out Red in, which we had in the seed circle.   A few more here.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2245656/long-keeper-tomatoes 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:52:27 by galina »

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:55 »
I am often still picking a few cherries into mid November in a non blight year.
I tend to avoid any varieties with over 80 dtm dates as they are too risky.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 15:58:37 »
I am often still picking a few cherries into mid November in a non blight year.
I tend to avoid any varieties with over 80 dtm dates as they are too risky.
and I stop watering at the end of august

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 16:07:32 »
with over 80 dtm dates

DTM ??? can I have a translation please

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 18:03:00 »
with over 80 dtm dates

DTM ??? can I have a translation please

DTM = Days to maturity after planting out, whereby planting out is assumed to be 8 weeks after sowing.  An American way of describing tomatoes, which is problematic because a 60 dtm tomato can easily take 90 or 100 days if the weather isn't warm enough. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 19:50:24 »
One could also sow some 'basket/container' type tomatoes little later on in the summer provide some tasty treats if taller varieties run out of energy too soon...there is loads of those type of varieties available :icon_cheers: And if the plants don't get 'hit' by blight in GH....they could be brought indoors to suitable place to finish off fruits ripening process...that's if the conditions in GH should turn too cold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal