Author Topic: To Swap: Comfrey Bocking 14 & 6 types Chinese Veg seeds for ----  (Read 2463 times)

irridium

• Acre
Hiya peeps ;D ;D

my first ever post, and one of many I'm sure ;)

am trying to grow Globe Artichokes (green globe, violetta di chioggia and violet de provence) but the seedlings have recently been looking rather sad and limp, so am looking for any any variety offsets that anyone might have to spare.

also, on the look out are:-

jerusalem artichoke 'Fuseau' variety only
any climbing courgette seeds
seakale
samphire
oca/yacon

any pinky looking sanguisorba seeds/plant, unusual grasses and bamboo.

what seeds I have plenty on offer:-

chinese or indian spinach/callaloo namely called Amaranthus
chinese celery
kaillan
choi sum
chinese winter melon
pak choi

(these are from bought packets from China that my mum got me last yr and they come in very large quantities!)

and a couple of Comfrey Bocking 14 roots/plants

can anyone help? thanks for reading :P

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: To Swap: Comfrey Bocking 14 & 6 types Chinese Veg seeds for ----
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:29:11 »
Hi irridium and welcome to A4A.

I've grown lots of artichokes from seed in the past, and also from shoots given to me by my relations who grow industrial quantities of them.  :o

I suppose Birmingham is a bit far for you to come to?  We are having a Plant Sale on May 14th and I could take some shoots off my plants if you wanted them. There are more details of the Plant Sale on our website http://www.growit.btck.co.uk/Ourcharityevents
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:46:06 by Squash64 »
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 18:24:45 »
This is the wrong time of year for oca or yacon; try next winter. You should be able to get some then. Do you know much about Chinese veg? I've just planted shark's fin squash, and I'm not sure when it should be harvested.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 22:47:39 »
I thought you planted oca round April time, after last frosts? That's what worked for me last year, so i did the same this year. I'd be happy to swap some for some comfrey - I've been hoping for some comfrey root cuttings!

If you still want oca, pm me your address, irridium, I'll pm you mine.  :)

irridium

• Acre
Hi squash64:

it would be lovely to see the Plant Sale but as Brum's a bit faraway and I don't drive, it would be a bit of an effort to come, sorry. Tho' I am very willing to pay for them by post if you don't mind doing that. PM is that's ok.

Hi Robert: I don't know much but have the indispensible bible by Joy Larkcom - Oriental Vegetables which has helped me enormously with growing the seeds that my mum has given me (tho' i had to get the seed packets translated into English first on the net!) She's grown Shark's Fin Melon before but it's v. rampant. ATM, she's away on hols but I presume they'll be harvested in Sept I think before the frosts.

Hi Pigeonseed:

I've PM'd you my address for ours swapsies ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Thanks. I'll see how I get on with them.

ipt8

• Hectare
Hi I have Jerusalem artichokes fuseau, but they are still in the ground. I will if I can get some tubers up for you. Happy to swap for comfrey and perhaps just a few of a selection of seeds.

Andy H

• Hectare
That comfrey bocking 14 is excellent! Split into 3 now and I`ve got 2 plants and neighbour plot got one,
shoved cuts into a hesien sack in water butt. fill butt from hose and watering cans from butt on plot.
Stinks like S*** but apparently the very near equivalent of tomotorite.

Good compost activator too like male pee! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal