Author Topic: How does garlic spread?  (Read 3160 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
How does garlic spread?
« on: May 06, 2011, 22:03:07 »
Many years ago I was given a ferw cloves of "purple garlic" by someone I worked with and put it in a little used corner of the garden. I never bothered to use it and now it occupies quite a substantial space. This lead me to wonder how garlic spreads in the wild.
Anyone know anything about individual bulbs and it seems to be a softneck garlic.as it produces the typical curved seed head.
I tried searching but hit a brick wall. Annoyingly many companies call garlic cloves seeds which is a bit like calling a daffodil bulb a seed!!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: How does garlic spread?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 22:30:25 »
I think what you might have is a hardneck garlic.  Softnecks do not generally produce a curved flower stalk (aka scape) unless they are very stressed.  Hardnecks typically produce bulbils on top of the scape.  The scape keels over, the bulbils root and become plants in their own right.  The process is similar to the way Egyptian or Walking Onions propagate.

Does your garlic look like this?  Here are several pictures of various hardnecks and also softnecks.  Hope you find something similar to what you are growing.
 http://goingtoseed.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/garlic-varieties-and-their-scapes/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 22:36:57 by galina »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 22:40:39 »
I find if you roast it low and slow it spreads pretty much like butter....  :P

Seriously though... It's one of the alliums that displays all four methods of reproduction, though getting it to flower  as a flower can be hard.... normally it forms multiple split corms at the base, hardneck varieties generally produce a stem with a multiplying onion-style group of bulbils on it, however under some conditions this structure will also contain flower parts as well or instead. You will also find occasionally that offset corms are produced (hardened bulbil structures outwith the usual corm sheath....

I might have nomenclature wrong there but it describes the lot.... real garlic flowers are rare, if you get one I'd always try to harvest the seed and see what you get, it's a new strain....

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:05 »
We tried those walking onions and they buggered off :P

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:54:12 »
Galina
they look excatly like that! I have Egyptian onions but these ones are smaller and with flatt rather than tubular leaves.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal