Author Topic: runner bean wigwam  (Read 5307 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: runner bean wigwam
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 21:35:40 »
We once planted quite a few beans that we had been given by a realaive who assured us they were the best ever but we didn;t know if pole or bush as he had gone overseas at sowing time.

We decided to use a small isolated patch of ground abot 8x8 and -popped the plants in in rows.About six rows. Of course they came as pole.We put poles at each end of the rows with string acrross and down. When they grew we had a maze of plants. they grow over and formed a roof. It was easy to go inside and pick from the roof, it felt quite strange being in there but we got a greay yeild despite the fact they were overcrowded.Especially tight if John and I were both in there picking together.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 22:24:52 »
oh, that's good to know. i didn't think anyone would use this method as most ppl would either use the wigwam or the long rows of them.  :D

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 22:31:57 »
Slightly off topic but bean related,

It's too late now as mine are in, but earlier in the year i found a bag of vermiculite, not the light fluffy stuff sold in garden centres, but the stuff sold in builders merchants,  and thought, at the time of putting it at the bottom of a trench, where my beans were going to go.

Any way i lost the bag again, so it didn't get used, but,,,

Opinions folks

Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:53 »
Yes, of course we understood misfit. Nobody loves a smarty pants and that includes me  ::) ::

I just couldn't resist correcting the corrector!!

XX Jeannine

thanks Jeannine  :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 18:01:43 »
Hello Misfit, is this any use to you? I grow psb and grow my new plants in the middle of my runnerbean wigwams (1 per wigwam). They grow on happily during the summer shaded by the beans & then continue once the beans have been stripped out. Bonus is that should I need to net against pigeons during the winter/spring the wigwam structure is already in place to support it.........

Have done this for 4 years - yesterday finally dug up the last of the psbs - no pigeon damage! RESULT!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 18:07:39 »
oooo interesting idea there Hyacinth. Do you still have probelms with cabbage whites, or do the beans somehow help to keep them at bay? I find if I don't net in summer the butterflies can have a field day

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 18:26:47 »
I've had no probs at all, perhaps because I plant the beans so densely - 2 per pole on 6-7 poles or praps the cabbage whites round here are particularly thick? (I'm in Birmingham, y'know. - tin hat ON and beating rapid retreat.)

;D ;D ;D

No, seriously, it's really worked for me. Well worth giving it a go I reckon.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 22:29:09 »
I'm tempted, it sounds like a great use of space! and maybe the cabbage whites aren't too bright around here!  :D  :P

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 09:59:22 »
thanks Hyacinth, might give that a go, after all if you dont try you dont know  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal