Author Topic: 'Re-setting' lettuce seeds  (Read 2572 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
'Re-setting' lettuce seeds
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:36 »
I had a little pinch of seeds of 4 different lettuce cultivars from Jeannine's amazing parcel.  These I sowed indoors nearly two months ago.  None came up.  We got the heatwave shortly after they were sown and lettuce does not germinate readily under these conditions.  I was a bit upset because these were all new to me and I no back-up seeds for a second try.  The tray was left sitting there.

A week ago I half-remembered something from way, way back.  Quite possibly from an HDRA lecture.  A remark about re-setting lettuce seeds by chilling them.  Nothing to lose.  I packed the whole seedtray into a gallon sized freezer bag and put it in the freezer for a day.

I had absolutely zero expectations of success, but two lettuces have germinated today, both of different cultivars.  Before there was no germination at all for weeks. 

I am well-chuffed and hope to get many more, now the seeds have apparently been 're-set'.  Has anybody else heard about this, knows more, has experience with this? 

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: 'Re-setting' lettuce seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 13:55:20 »
well they do say avoid sowing lettuce when it's hot doe to Heat Induced Dormancy......so there it was perhaps

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 13:59:48 »
Interesting!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 20:31:52 »
Thankyou for that. Will add it to 'cold lovers' like lobelia which likes winter in the fridge but can do with less! We got frost other night so good old British weather could just do the trick if seeds left out.- It also got my spuds because the weather forecast said 3 instead of -3.....

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:19:00 »
Interesting post Galina. It was a case of nothing to lose and everything to gain

BTW I don't know which varieties they are, but if the others don't germinate I might  be able to help you as I have a stash of lettuce seeds from various sources which might tempt you ;)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:10 »
Interesting post Galina. It was a case of nothing to lose and everything to gain

BTW I don't know which varieties they are, but if the others don't germinate I might  be able to help you as I have a stash of lettuce seeds from various sources which might tempt you ;)

Well thank you very much Ten.  I am still very hopeful of getting these ones going.  Now have 5 tiny seedlings and hope for many more.  Verde foglia Riccia and Simpsons Elite have made an appearance.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 13:39:36 »
I've heard of Simpsons Elite, I don't have that one, but am trying Black Seeded Simpson - any relation I wonder?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 15:03:08 »
Not sure.  Was Simpson a US lettuce breeder or a seed house?  Like in the UK where some heirloom vegetables are prefixed with Veitch after the famous Victorian Nursery, or Laxton's after the famous pea and apple breeder? 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 18:33:07 »
John kindly PMed and we have an answer.  Mr Simpson was a market gardener who developed Black seeded Simpson lettuce.  A really fast growing lettuce with attractive light green bubbly leaves.  And Simpson's Elite is an improved reselection from it.  They are very closely related.  
http://tinyfarmblog.com/simpson-elite/

Thanks John  :)  

Also see here:
 http://envirotekie.blogspot.com/2010/01/whats-growing.html

Some History on Black Simpson Lettuce: "Henderson's Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce posesses one of the best documented histories among all lettuce varieties. This wonderful loose-leaf type lettuce has been favored by gardeners and seedsmen for over 150 years now and presumeably, the Simpson name in lettuce has existed since the period of 1700. There are many types of "Simpson" lettuce which have been cultivated and they are all most certainly related, although the facts about its actual origin and developer remain somewhat foggy at best. According to one source, the variety is descendent of Early Curled Simpson Lettuce which was introduced by a Mr. A. Simpson of New York in 1864. What is known for fact is that this variety was introduced commercially by the Peter Henderson Seed Co. in 1880 and further that Henderson described the variety in his book "Gardening for Profit : A Guide to the Successful Cultivation of the Market and Family Garden" in 1867" end of quote
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 18:52:22 by galina »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:32:01 »
Ah, thank you Galina and John, on the spot (as ever)  :)

Looking forward to trying them  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal