Author Topic: Japanese Knives - need an expert!  (Read 1558 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Japanese Knives - need an expert!
« on: May 20, 2011, 18:07:32 »
We have a Kyocera Ceramic knife, & Daughter a Kasumi Titanium one. Japanese knives are "honed to a more acute angle to give their special edge". We do not want to spoil their superb edges by using the wrong sharpener, if & when.

I can get no consistent advice from retailers, or even Kyocera themselves.
I am variously told to sharpen to 35 degrees (Harts of Stur), 20 (Kyocera), 17 & 7 degrees

Both makers offer their own diamond sharpeners. I have a Chef’s Choice unit giving, presumably, the Western 20 degrees? Are the former likely to be different from each other, or from mine?

I know that a whetstone is the best method, but I could not ensure the correct angle.

What, please, do I do??

= Tim

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Japanese Knives - need an expert!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 19:22:28 »
Oh I wish I could give you definate answer...ceramic blades are so difficult.
Back in my hairdressing days I spent fortune for ceramic scissors..they were fab, but none of the local 'sharpening experts' wouldn't touch when they were ready for sharpening. I was told that you couln't sharpen them properly.
So for my desperation I bought wet stone..finest grade I could get and with cooking oil as lubricant I took my time and did it myself. But it was slow job..I had to try the sharpness and angle for best cutting all the time and adjust acordingly. Rather than letting them go blunt it may be easier to sharpen little and often...then you should be able to follow the the blades angle and not having to find the correct one.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Japanese Knives - need an expert!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 20:13:06 »
Point made?

No one source will say what angle a blade should be honed to - or what angle the various sharpeners give.

I've tried all the major suppliers & they either give you spurious info ( see the difference in what I was given) or refer you to the next up who does the same. ..........

I think there is a plot so that you buy the maker's sharpener.

As to whetstones - Global supply a gauge which sets the angle. I couldn't see 2 degrees difference in an angle. Can't even see the edge!!

PS - Daughter cuts mine!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal