Author Topic: Anyone got a frost forecast for Tues 5th?  (Read 8047 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Anyone got a frost forecast for Tues 5th?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 20:41:20 »
It was May 11th that caught us with the frost last year and it WILL harm your SPUDS, also my strawberrys and beans will be under threat.   :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 20:52:29 »
Yip........Me  :( 

Heck, just planted up hanging baskets. Will have to put them all in the greenhouse !

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 13:09:45 »
The forcast for last night was 6 deg, the actual temp according to the thermometer on my shed was 3.5 deg and they are still forcasting 4 deg for tonight in Guildford, so it looks like I will be sharing my home with a load of pepper plants, just wish the OH was away for one more day!
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 14:03:56 »
Frost here last night in Charnwood & NW Leicestershire.  Clear skies all day then the wind dropped and down it came.  Spuds under fleece and plastic greenhouse seemed to withstand it.

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 16:32:15 »
Well, my earlies are too tall to earth up and cover. I don't have any fleece, so hope 4 degrees is an accurate forecast. Even so, I should have known better, will plant them later next year. The maincrop ones are only just in, so could be worse.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 17:14:58 »
We had quite a hard frost last wednesday night though the forecast was for 5C possibly as low as -2C.   I had a sheet over my mini greenhouses and it was covered in ice.  The forecast is not for ground level it is for about a metre off the ground.  There were a lot of sad looking spuds around out site but most of the plants have survived with just a few scorched leaves.   I lost a couple of strawberry flowers where my covers blew off the centres went black.

Our forecast tonight is for 3C so I am covering up tonight again.  It did not go below 3 last night though the forecast was for 5C. 

You do not need fleece you can cover them with newspaper, cardboard, plastic or an old sheet.   Basically you can whip if off again in the morning so it does not matter if it is opaque.   I covered some of mine with last week with weeds and straw but it was not good enough and the frost caught the plants round the edges.

A few years ago I got very caught by a frost on 6th June so I am always very wary.  There was a terrible run on replacement packets of runner beans.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 19:21:51 »
Just put a fleece tunnel over my newly planted herb border in the garden. The spuds and strawberries on my plot  can take their chances.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 20:48:15 »
My tatties are quite tall now, I pop upturned buckets over them, fine so long as you can get them off early. I've done this for some years and it works for me, only 30 plants though. Mind you, this is the first year I've done it with a pair of playful cats on the premises - I reckon they may turn a few back over in the night...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:23 »
Not sure I understand the weather.  Last week our nearest met office monitoring point was at 3C while we got -2 but today they are at 2 while we are at a balmy plus 3 even on the ground.  So the covers were unnecessary here.   

I once heard on a gardening programme many years ago that courgettes prefer a temperature above 7C so I have always tried to oblige.  So I tend to be running about with plastic bottles and bits of fleece for some weeks to get the early friuts.

I pop upturned buckets over them
You must have a lot of buckets to cover 30 plants. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 06:16:17 »
It went down to 12 here last night , do you think my bougainvillea will be alright.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 06:32:35 »
Swindon, light frost here at 6 am.  Have been told we will have frosts through till the end of May.  :'( :'(

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 06:51:06 »
Minimum 1-3c here last night. Met Office had said 5c - but thought they might be a bit out with wind dropped and clear sky so most things fleeced.

Would help if you add your general location under the photo section on profile - otherwise have to look you up to see what part of the country you're talking about.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 07:01:49 »
Swindon, Wiltshire. Didn't set it up as I'm an old fart and not any good at the tech bits.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 07:30:44 »
Much easier than adding your photo - on your profile page, modify profile, forum profile info - just type where it says 'personal text'.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:44 »
Frost on the cars and the lawn, good job I put the paraffin heater on.

Everything survived. :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 07:35:22 »
It was a min. of 7.5C in the end - totally tropical!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 07:47:17 »
I was up with the sun this morning in an attempt to "wash" the frost off my potatoes and strawberries.

I dont know just how cold it was last night but the taps on the allotment were all frozen with a thin layer of ice on the old baths next to them.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 07:50:16 »
Thanks Alex. Wow my son will be impressed  ;D ;D

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 08:09:17 »
Here in Surrey it was down to 2 degrees with a frost over grass and rooves.  Garden is littered with upturned buckets covering everything.  That must be the last one... 95 dahlias about to come out of greenhouse......
Best laid plans and all that

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:48 »
Woke up & saw the frost on the grass, so rushed out in dressing-gown & slippers to hose off the potatoes before the sun got there, forgot the strawberries       :( :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal