Author Topic: pros and cons of decking  (Read 8030 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
pros and cons of decking
« on: April 30, 2011, 18:49:52 »
My Goddaughter is thinking of putting some decking down in her garden.   She has asked my advice, but I know nothing about it and none of my friends do either.
Does it need painting every year, is it slippy in Winter, does dirt collect underneath and in the ridges?  What other problems are there compared with decorative slabs?
Over to A4A experts please.

pumkinlover

Re: pros and cons of decking
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 19:36:00 »
Not had any decking so no help there but if looking for an alternative to wood there is now re-cycled plastic available. It may cost a bit more- not sure but no painting ;) We bought "wood" to make a gate and noticed it when we were there, I didnot think it looked bad at all.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 19:54:18 »
We have decking and I really like it and have had no problems with it.  Husband paints it every second year and it looks fine inbetween.  Ours has grooves and its not slippy when it rains but during the winter it was slippy when it was frosty.

Hope that helps  :)

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 20:14:22 »
Hi tomatoada we have decking here at home which I built myself 7 years ago, it is all pressure treated timber and I do oil it every couple of years to try and keep it in good order. It is sat on concrete pads with engineering bricks keeping it clear of the ground with weed membrane and shingle underneath. In the winter it becomes an absolute ice rink, in the summer it is very uncomfortable underfoot if you have no shoes on, and the splinters we all have had off it especially my 7 year old daughter is  crazy, the sooner it's gone the better!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 20:50:49 »
if in shade, it will accumulate moss.
if near lawn / beds it will accumulate soil.
probably need regular pressure-washing, as well as painting / oiling every 2 years. uncomfortable in bare feet ( summer) ice-rink in winter.
debris / soil ( and therefore weeds) will accumulate under the decking.

it's OK in a pub beer-garden, or a heavy-traffic public area, but I wouldn't have it at home
just my two-pennorth.
You couldn't make it up!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:10 »
Thanks for the replies.   Just the info. I need.   I will pass it on.   

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:20:32 »
I put some down in front of my shed and its made it look much neater despite it being a bit of a bodge job. It is set on 3 pallets, and is cheapo stuff from B&Q. It accumulates soil and bits from the tree above, but you can brush it out. I'm planning to paint it with anti-slip paint though as it does get slippy when wet or icy. Have just discovered you can buy special anti-slip decking board which I'll go for if I ever need to replace the boards.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 08:30:39 »
..another point to add..
If there is any bird food about nearby.. under decking is where all the mice make their nests..or rats.. ::)
I like the look of the decking but good slabs instead for me any day...

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:40:31 »
Thanks again for replies.  I knew there was more to decking than a quick DIY job and no maintenance.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 21:02:52 »
NOTHING is maintainence free.

Nature will get back at you one way or another.

What ever you choose as your garden area just make sure that you do the necessary maintainence as early in the year as possible.

With decking that is spray around and even under with the best available weed killer. Sweep when dry and if need be use a power washer. and use a good wood treatment. Some say it is pre treated and wont need anything for X years. That may mean it wont actually rot, but it could get other problems which make it look, shabby.

What ever you choose it will look it's best in year one and then deteriorate.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 21:12:37 »
So true Purpleheather. I'm sure Ratty is making a nest under mine as we speak!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 18:28:25 »
I don't agree with you PH, I think our deck is looking better with age. Was done last year, treated wood and is now going a nice silvery grey colour. No painting done or planned. It will get a scrub down soon, mainly to get seagull poo off it! But agree if the decking is in a shady part it will go miossy and slippy. Ours is in the sun and we haven't had that problem.
I guess it all depends on how much they want a wooden deck as opposed to paving etc

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 19:50:42 »
We have decking over most of our tiny rented garden and I hate it. It's uncomfortable to walk on bare foot, looks bloody awful now after 3 years of no treatments by the landlords (and is now rotting in places as a result), and yes it is VERY slippery in the winter - I injured my back year before last slipping on it   :(. With my beloved son playing on it is never looks clean either...there's always a few bits of something that get caught in it and refuse to be swept up  >:(

I would much prefer slabs. A quick weed pull round the edges and a blast with the pressure washer and sweep with a broom every so often to remove the grime is all they need. Decking is like laminate flooring IMO - a nice idea in principle...but it never looks good after a few days of use, no matter how much you attend to it  ::)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:35 »
Nothing wrong with decking if it is done properly and cleaned and maintained like anything else in the garden. Best when raised to add another dimension to your boring flat spaces. Vermin are everywhere, decking or not, it does not attract them, it just gives them an alternative place to nest, but makes it easier to put down traps and poison safely.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 20:00:03 »
Guess you spent a lot on it 1066. I know it is not cheap. 

After one year it's appearance should improve after that stark newness has mellowed .

But it wont stay that way if you don't 'look after it'.

Hope you get your money's worth and enjoy.

Come back in a couple of years and up date us. We will look forward to it.

:-*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 23:04:15 »
I would just like to add my opinion and experience.  We have had decking down for over 8 years now and I much prefer it to paving.  It is a raised area outside our wooden conservatory.  Husband did it, laying down weed supressing membrane, then a good thick layer of gravel before erecting the deck.  We treat it every 2 years.  I have never found it slippery apart from when there is ice on it, and lets be honest, everything is slippery when there is ice on it.  I don't find it uncomfortable to walk on, in fact, I find it quite soft underfoot.  It is shaded from about 3pm onwards during the summer and pretty much most of the time during winter due to a neighbouring property but it has never, ever grown moss or algae.  I think as Ace says, if it is done properly, not on the cheap, and is looked after as anything regarding your property should be, with care, then it will be just fine. 

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 15:18:42 »
Thanks for replies.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal