Author Topic: Will & Kate  (Read 6123 times)

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
Re: Will & Kate
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 01:01:30 »
Sorry, i forgot to put"imo" it's a load of old bollox,
yeah Princess Katherine loked a picture, Harry looked the part too, but, and i may be wrong, at £74.00 of each and every tax payers money, as i was informed this evening, £74.00 of each tax payers wage being spent on this wedding of the 21st century,

Still a load of old bollox
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 07:36:51 »
£74 well spent and would be happy to double that.  At least we get to see something for our money. Its not as if we have this type of event every year.  Plus all the prestige for our designers and this country.  Just the feel good factor alone is worth the money spent.
When it comes to wasting money how about stopping payments to the lazy arses that never work or the alco's who get their money on a weekly basis and do b**ger all for it.  Or give us choice about who gets our hard earnt cash abroad.  I'm sick of the millions set out of this country in aid releif that never gets to the people that it suppose to help.  I could go on and on, on this subject but won't.
I second zigzags post.
Here's hoping you all have a good bank holiday.  God save the Queen.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:54 »
I've never got the bit about Diana being the "people's princess" - how did that work? As for getting something for the money - all I got was nausea from having it rammed down my throat for the last few weeks (plus a day off  ;) which was useful to catch up down the plot and do some shopping whilst it was quiet). As for bringing in tourism - France has plenty of tourists - the buildings and history still exists. The vast majority of us will never see any of them anyway. I wonder how many people are really pro-monarchy - quite a few admittedly but I doubt it's as high as 99%. I suspect many are like christians in this country - celebrate the big occasion (like yesterday or Christmas) but for much of the time couldn't give two hoots.

Still I wish them well - they are going to need it.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 08:35:32 »
£74 well spent and would be happy to double that.

Excellent - because I'd like my money back so we can make you & me happy in one quick transaction. I'll pm you my address & you can send the cheque.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 08:36:12 »
God Bless Her, And All Who Sail In Her

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 08:37:03 »
I find it very hard to raise any enthusiasm at all for a wedding between two rich people that I don't know and don't care about.  
I don't understand why anyone would get even remotely excited about watching anyone else's wedding at all, let alone a bunch of over dressed privledged yahoos.

Anyway it meant all the roads were empty so I had a lovely cycle ride round SE London - they can do it everyday as far as I am concerned if it keeps the masses quiet and indoors...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:41 »

I just think it was a nice day, and its nice to feel the happiness of most of the Country , instead of all the doom and gloom .that is about.
good luck to the young couple
    June.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 10:30:56 »
£74 well spent and would be happy to double that.

Excellent - because I'd like my money back so we can make you & me happy in one quick transaction. I'll pm you my address & you can send the cheque.
;D ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:09 »
if i'd known it was costing me so much I might have watched some of it. I reckon I personally paid for the antlers on Princess Wotshernames head

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48:01 »
Good luck to the lass she will need it when the bubble pops, :)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 11:09:49 »
Of course 99% of the figure quoted was what it cost the country for the bank holiday. The same cost could be ascribed to every bank holiday.

Allotment18

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 11:48:32 »
I find it very hard to raise any enthusiasm at all for a wedding between two rich people that I don't know and don't care about.  
I don't understand why anyone would get even remotely excited about watching anyone else's wedding at all, let alone a bunch of over dressed privledged yahoos.

and may I second all of that 

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 12:10:09 »
Sorry, i forgot to put"imo" it's a load of old bollox,
yeah Princess Katherine loked a picture, Harry looked the part too, but, and i may be wrong, at £74.00 of each and every tax payers money, as i was informed this evening, £74.00 of each tax payers wage being spent on this wedding of the 21st century,

Still a load of old bollox

Good gracious!  Assuming you mean income tax payers, and not VAT payers, that's 26 million times £74 equals, wow, nearly £2 billion.  Must have been one heck of a champagne reception, eh?

Why do people so rarely do a reasonableness check on these assertions?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 12:22:51 »
the cost to the economy, whatever that means, was estimated as between 2 and 6 billion........CBI reckoned 5 billion.....

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 12:23:43 »
I expect many cost estimates include the cost to the economy of another day of work. Estimates vary on that - with the TUC estimating that at £1.2 billion (although I believe the CBI quote as high as £6 billion when usually opposing TUC requests for an additional bank holiday). Then there's the cost of the wedding and security etc. I know the wedding is supposed to paid for by the Royal Family but it could be argued the tax payer is still chipping in for that. Obviously some costs will be offset against increased tourism for the event itself with people/media travelling into the UK to watch.

Who knows the real cost - not sure I care that much.

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 13:02:00 »
I thoroughly enjoyed the wedding.  The couple looked radiant and in love, the people there all looked happy.  The bride was truly beautiful and elegant.   The Abbey and ceremony both inside and outside were splendid.  

A young couple starting their lives together in hope - whats not to like   :)

It made me happy and proud to live in this country, and see how well we can do things - even Google thought it was worthy of their main page.  Well done us  :)

Sorry All -  but I think there is so much to love in this life/world/existence for those who choose to look for it.  I loved every minute and it gave me much happiness and pleasure, and I shall remember it for years to come, hopefully when William becomes King and Catherine Queen.   :)  :)  :)

Can't help it - that's just the way I feel  :)

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 13:20:22 »
I didn't watch it, I find the media reverence distasteful, and I'm not happy personally about having the Queen as head of state, but I do agree the cost is worth it - there are other values than financial, holidays and collective celebrations are healthy.

The thing I didn't like was the stuff about who gets invited and who doesn't. They invited Tory ex-PMs but not Labour ones and snubbed the Syrian ambassador but invited Saudi and Bahraini royalty.

Actually I was really p-ed off on Thurs I can't work up any real annoyance today. Must be the extra bank holiday relaxed me!  ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 16:34:02 »
when they drove off in the Aston, did she do her seatbelt up?

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 19:45:17 »
The cost of the royal wedding is supposed to be £10 million. there are nearly 61 million people in the UK that, costing wise is about £5 each.

Yet both the Queen and the Middletons paid toward the cost. Reducing that outlay.

The pomp and ceremony will have gained the British economy, quite a bit.

I reckon, as a nation, we at least broke even.

So, those who did not like the event wont have lost a lot.

Let's face it. We can not decide how much of our taxes goes on things like War, Dole, NHS, etc. It is decided for us by those we elect.

Perhaps a change to the voting system could change that. But then who will vote for a change?..

We will chose to keep things just as they are. AND MOAN.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 14:38:32 »
It's all over now, all we've got to look forward to now is news of the bloody olympics on every night for the next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal